Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Wally

Default Tree Selection

I need some help with deciding what species of tree to plant. It's in a
Sydney garden, with mostly a clay soil. It's on the north side wall of a
house, but the spot mostly gets sun in the afternoon. The garden area is
about 1.8m deep, 3.5m wide (I guess two trees would be an option), and
ideally the tree will grow to around 3.5m. I'd like an Australian native,
and preferably deciduous. It will hopefully give some privacy with it's
foliage.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions?

thanks,
Wally

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chris Garvey

--
ahow many deciduous natives are there?

(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Willow

Try http://www.floraforfauna.com.au/planner/

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
u...

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
J & A Haig

Off the top of my head....

Peanut tree (Sterculia quadrifida)
Flame tree (Brachychiton spp in general)
Native Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia archeriana)
White cedar (Melia azederach)

I'm not saying these are the best ones for the application, but it is a
common fallacy to believe there are no deciduous natives. It is also fairly
common for a number of species to thin out considerably during the cooler
dryer times of the year, tho not strictly deciduous.

Jim

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Wally" wrote:

the spot mostly gets sun in the afternoon. The garden area is
about 1.8m deep, 3.5m wide (I guess two trees would be an option), and
ideally the tree will grow to around 3.5m. I'd like an Australian native,
and preferably deciduous. It will hopefully give some privacy with it's
foliage.

Firstly, if privacy is more important, I would go for an evergreen -- a
deciduous tree will leave you without privacy in winter. Secondly, if the
site mainly gets sun in the afternoons, it's probably more west than north,
which is another reason to prefer an evergreen, as it will shade your house.
Thirdly, the deciduous natives (as far as I am aware) tend to be rainforest
species, which may not cope with the westerly sun in this position.

If you have your heart set on a deciduous tree in that spot, I suggest
planting some small wattles as "nursemaids" -- they grow fast and will shade
it while it is young and vulnerable. When your chosen tree is sturdier, you
can remove the wattles.

I can't think of a deciduous native that meets your requirements,
unfortunately. For that height requirement, I would be looking at Banksia or
Acacia species, or possibly some of the smaller bottle-brushes and tea-trees.

Have fun -- tell us what you decide on!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Wally

I still haven't decided what to plant, but I've found some trees that
I'd like to find some more information on. Can anybody identify either
of these two trees for me?

http://c17488.rivrw3.nsw.optusnet.com.au:443/treeident/

If these aren't appropriate, I think I might go for a wattle. Any
suggestions on what wattle to plant? I'd prefer a tree to a bush, but
I'm limited by the space I have.

Thanks,
Wally

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
(Wally) wrote:

I still haven't decided what to plant, but I've found some trees that
I'd like to find some more information on. Can anybody identify either
of these two trees for me?

http://c17488.rivrw3.nsw.optusnet.com.au:443/treeident/

The second one looks like an ornamental cherry. Is that possible?

If these aren't appropriate, I think I might go for a wattle. Any
suggestions on what wattle to plant? I'd prefer a tree to a bush, but
I'm limited by the space I have.

I'd pick a local plant. Talk to your Council, local Australian Plants group,
or Landcare or Greening Australia.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids

Plant Selection at Big Box Stores [email protected] Gardening 4 12-04-2009 09:20 PM
Tree selection Advice needed - please help TechJinx Gardening 0 23-03-2007 12:23 PM
Olive tree selection Pat Australia 1 27-11-2006 12:23 AM
Selection of fruit tree Mike United Kingdom 4 27-10-2005 07:49 PM
Apple Tree selection Steve Harris United Kingdom 6 24-10-2002 05:00 PM