Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Digger

Default Line Trimmer/Whipper Snipper Advice

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would like to give some advice on what the best
line trimmers are out there. I'll only be using it for the lawn edges and
around the sleepers of the garden beds.

Even as to what brands are the best would be a great start.

Thanks,

--
Digger (Remove the NOSPAM to email me)

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
len brauer

g'day digger,

i'd stear clear of the priced to sell brands the gimmicky ones.

for me nothing under around 22 to 25cc in size, and straight shaft.
that's from my experience of working on them for 10 years. i own a
jonsered that has a mitsubishi motor on it this machine has been with
me a long time so far and has many more years of work left in it.

some of the better models have 4 stroke engines now a little heavier
than 2 stroke but very much quieter and none of the smelly 2 stroke
smoke & no fuel mixing.

brands like honda, jonsered, echo, sthil come to mind.

best place for advice is to talk to a mower person who uses one all
day and then seek out a specilaist lawn equpment shop, there are some
things that just shouldn't be bought in a box from a regular retail
outlet.

if you do buy a 2stroke model best not to have pre-mix fuel sitting
around waiting to be used mix the fuel you need each time you need,
mine gets ulp with castrol 2 stroke oil. i use 1 of thsoe fish morney
jars a mixing device plus a medicine dose measurer.

at the end of the day no matter which way you go there is no money in
it for me either way.

happy hunting

len

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 07:43:16 +1100, "Digger"
wrote:

Hi all,

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Graeme

Digger wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would like to give some advice on what the
best line trimmers are out there. I'll only be using it for the lawn
edges and around the sleepers of the garden beds.

Even as to what brands are the best would be a great start.

Thanks,

Whilst no doubt for heavy work the petrol type of Whipper-Snippers are the
best ,if you have a smaller garden and as you say just require it for edging
I have found the Electric ones more than adequate .Had a small Black and
Decker for nearly 10 years and about 18 months ago replaced it with a Black
and decker Reflex model.It is really good feeds out automatically if the
cord breaks .Cuts my Buffalo edges easily and no starting problems .
Graeme

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Digger

len brauer wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Len. Spoke to the guys at the lawnmower place and they said pretty
much what you said. If you want something to last then you need a good one.

They said that the ones with the bent shaft are fine. It's just a matter of
getting used to it.

Thanks again for the advice.

any whipper-snipper experts here? John Savage Australia 16 30-04-2010 11:29 PM
whipper snipper Sandgroper Australia 19 13-05-2006 01:19 PM
whipper snipper problem mickfarrell United Kingdom 0 05-05-2004 10:30 PM
Which Line trimmer/whipper Snipper? PandA Australia 3 25-08-2003 05:42 AM
Trimmer line The Fly Lawns 4 06-12-2002 07:50 AM