GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spuds - when to harvest? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13133-spuds-when-harvest.html)

Tom Elliott 05-04-2003 07:33 AM

Spuds - when to harvest?

I planted a variety of potatoes I had in my cupboard - they were all
growing shoots so I thought I'd give them a chance.

After a long time of inactivity, they suddenly threw up a huge cluster
of large and healthy looking leaves. Now they are flowering.

My question is - when do I harvest? I haven't grown potatoes before,
so I'm clueless as to when to start digging for them.

Tom.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.

Dwayne 05-04-2003 07:33 AM

Spuds - when to harvest?

Good morning Tom. Normally you would wait until the plants die and start
turning brown( at least 3/4 of the plant is brown). Dig one or two and check
the results. If they are little, leave them another week or so.

Keep them watered "regularly", but not necessarily a lot. I water mine once
every 3 or 4 days, when the ground seems to be drying out. The longer you
leave them in the ground, the larger the potatoes will be. By the way, I
used two bags I found at the store that has started sprouting. I cut them
into pieces and let them dry before planting like we are supposed to. Gave
them plenty of water and attention and when I dug them up, I got one or two
per plant. The ones I had received from a catalog company give me 3 to 6
each plant.

len brauer 05-04-2003 07:33 AM

Spuds - when to harvest?

g'day tom,

as dwayne said or you can even leave it until after the plants have
well and truely died off.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Heather Edwards 05-04-2003 07:33 AM

Spuds - when to harvest?

The Australian Vegetable Garden by Clive Blazey recommends harvest at 120
days 30 days after flowering. Good Luck. Heather.

AY 05-04-2003 07:33 AM

Spuds - when to harvest?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:56:19 GMT, (Tom Elliott)
wrote:

I planted a variety of potatoes I had in my cupboard - they were all
growing shoots so I thought I'd give them a chance.

After a long time of inactivity, they suddenly threw up a huge cluster
of large and healthy looking leaves. Now they are flowering.

My question is - when do I harvest? I haven't grown potatoes before,
so I'm clueless as to when to start digging for them.

If you see the soil rising / cracking under the plants then there's
probably spuds there. You can do a little gentle fossicking
underneath to find out whats there! This is the best way to get the
smaller ('gourmet') potatoes. You can also grab any large ones if
you're in need to a feed!