Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Tom Elliott

Default Spuds - when to harvest?

I planted a variety of potatoes I had in my cupboard - they were all
growing shoots so I thought I'd give them a chance.

After a long time of inactivity, they suddenly threw up a huge cluster
of large and healthy looking leaves. Now they are flowering.

My question is - when do I harvest? I haven't grown potatoes before,
so I'm clueless as to when to start digging for them.

Tom.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Dwayne

Good morning Tom. Normally you would wait until the plants die and start
turning brown( at least 3/4 of the plant is brown). Dig one or two and check
the results. If they are little, leave them another week or so.

Keep them watered "regularly", but not necessarily a lot. I water mine once
every 3 or 4 days, when the ground seems to be drying out. The longer you
leave them in the ground, the larger the potatoes will be. By the way, I
used two bags I found at the store that has started sprouting. I cut them
into pieces and let them dry before planting like we are supposed to. Gave
them plenty of water and attention and when I dug them up, I got one or two
per plant. The ones I had received from a catalog company give me 3 to 6
each plant.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
len brauer

g'day tom,

as dwayne said or you can even leave it until after the plants have
well and truely died off.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

The Australian Vegetable Garden by Clive Blazey recommends harvest at 120
days 30 days after flowering. Good Luck. Heather.

Spuds Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 27-01-2004 08:32 AM
New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Black leaves on spuds - Beans too Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Black leaves on spuds Shakespeare United Kingdom 1 19-05-2003 05:56 PM