Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Adam Webster

Default sad ficus

Greetings,
Recently I neglected a poor (big beautiful) ficus, which promptly
dropped EVERY leaf with the exception of one branch. I now have a
beautiful twisted braided trunk that is big and thick with one little
sad branch coming out. New growth abounds on this new branch, but here
is the $1MM question(s):
a) will it live
b) how do I encourage "new" branches (surely it can't grow through one
branch?)
c) how much TLC will it require to make it
Sadly untalented in matters green,

Everything is dead with the exception of this one small branch, but I
would like to recover this plant in order to not slander its benefactors
spirit (it was given to me.)

Neglect was a .. ahem.. frosty night in Maine in October.

Adam

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chris Garvey

Adam Webster wrote:
: Recently I neglected a poor (big beautiful) ficus, which promptly
: dropped EVERY leaf with the exception of one branch. I now have a
: beautiful twisted braided trunk that is big and thick with one little
: sad branch coming out. New growth abounds on this new branch, but here
: is the $1MM question(s):
: a) will it live
: b) how do I encourage "new" branches (surely it can't grow through one
: branch?)
: c) how much TLC will it require to make it
: Sadly untalented in matters green,

: Everything is dead with the exception of this one small branch, but I
: would like to recover this plant in order to not slander its benefactors
: spirit (it was given to me.)

: Neglect was a .. ahem.. frosty night in Maine in October.

I suspect that very few gardeners in australia would have experience of
frosts of that magnitude and if you have enough warmth and sunlight to
revive it until next warm season. I have seen ficus sp. drop all their
leaves (for other reasons) and happily spring back next spring. Your
best shot would be to care for as normal.

regards

erastothenes

--
(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Adam Webster

ok thanks
i have a nice greenhouse which goes to 50F at night ...70F in day (which
is 10 to 25 Centigrade

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Dear Adam,

The first question you need to ask yourself is what caused the leaves to
drop was it lack of water, poor weather, lack of nutrients, a pest such as a
borer, fig beetle, fig blister mite, fig leafhopper, fig longicorn, fig
psylid etc.

Is there anything that may be evident on the leaves if so what do they look
like? Figs also don't like to have their roots compacted or have additonal
soil thrown on top. When you say that the problem was a frosty night in
Maine do you normally cover it over? Let me know a little more and I'll see
if I can help. Kind regards, Heather.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
rob

Heather Edwards wrote:
[...]

They will drop all there leaves for lack of water, burnt off in direct
cental aust sun, and frost. I just prune harshly at the time to get the best
new shape, water like hell and they always rebound.

--
Robert B* II

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Adam Webster

the leaves dropped due to being left out in the cold

i have turned the one remaining branch skyward

a) mist it regularly
b) keep it in greenhouse (70degrees F daytime / 50 night)
c) pay close attention
Heather.. i hope that helps

(it seems to have tons of new growth - on the one tiny remaining branch
- everything else seems dead.. my hope is to bring it back via that one
branch.. my main question is : can i stimulate new branches to "pop
out" of the trunk?")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Adam Webster

ok, thanks Rob

rob wrote:
Heather Edwards wrote:

[...]

Sad day for us Greg Bickal fans, but wish him well in his endeavor. ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 01-02-2004 11:14 PM
I feel old and sad. J Roos Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
another sad Troll to my BSL Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 05:56 PM
Sad News. [email protected] Ponds 0 03-03-2003 11:54 PM
Pieris Forest Flame looking sad Mon United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 07:16 PM