Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Default Planting Suggestion Required

Erigeron karvinskianus or the Seaside daisy might be a good one its very
easy to grow I'm not sure if it is native or not. It is second line salt
tolerant and would give a cottage garden feel. The flowers are white aging
to pink. The other one that comes to mind is Brachycome mutifida the cut
leaf daisy it has lilac/blue flowers with a yellow disc and flowers most of
the year. I'm not sure how much sun you'll get but for natives you're
probably best to check with your local nursery. Groundcovers- avoid them
where possible as they are difficult to weed especially if you get something
like couch grass or wandering jew growing through them. Mulch and smaller
plants close together would be better. Other than that there is a native
violet. Best of luck. Heather.

"Pixo" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm after a suggestion re what to plant across the front of my house.

The bed is east-facing. It is ~77cm deep by ~5m wide - except for in
front
of the chimney which is only ~42cm deep.

I would like something that is preferably Australian, preferably
low-maintenance, flowering (but the colour must go with cream-brick),

grows
to ~95cm tall (but doesn't have a single flower at the top, as I'm going

have to trim it down to ~85cm beneath a window where the ground is

higher..
ie. ground slopes down toward the south).

I'd also like to avoid weeds so if someone can suggest a hardy,
complementary ground cover too!

Thanks,

Pixo

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Jane VR

I'm after a suggestion re what to plant across the front of my house.

The bed is east-facing. It is ~77cm deep by ~5m wide - except for in

front
of the chimney which is only ~42cm deep.

I would like something that is preferably Australian, preferably
low-maintenance, flowering (but the colour must go with cream-brick),

grows
to ~95cm tall (but doesn't have a single flower at the top, as I'm going

have to trim it down to ~85cm beneath a window where the ground is

higher..
ie. ground slopes down toward the south).

Baueras are very hardy but vary in size, so check the label. Correas and
croweas are a good size. There might be an eriostemon that stays that small,
too. These are all morning sun type natives.

jane