Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
ideekay

Default White Mites

Before I go beresk with DDT ..........is there something a little less nasty
that will deter those little white mites that are populating my green house
in ever increasing numbers . I have plenty of tomatoes forming so there is
no tragedy evident ...........yet ? However I have decided that they are
not welcome .
Cheers , Ian in Bendigo

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tish

are you *sure* they are mites? Sounds more like whitefly to me - a
sucking pest that is a big problem in greenhouses (the form you
probably have is called the greenhouse whitefly). Talk to your local
Vic Ag office or to your local nursery - they will have advice for
you. Take a sample of some of your beasties so that they can give you
a firm identification.

HTH
Tish

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
ideekay

I am not sure whether I can catch anything that small ! I guess a net made
out of a stocking could suffice , thanks Ian in Bendigo

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tish

If they are attached to the plants, you could break off a leaf or the
end of a stem and pop it into a plastic bag - it should have some of
the beasties attached.

Cheers,
Tish

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
ideekay

Well no Tish , the minute you look at the plant they take off , they are
real small i don't think they would be a mil long . I reckon I have seen
them before at Myrtleford , where they amassed like a cloud early morning
around the tobbacco where I was involved aerial spraying to get rid of them.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
John Savage

"ideekay" writes:
I am not sure whether I can catch anything that small ! I guess a net made
out of a stocking could suffice , thanks Ian in Bendigo

Slap a strip of wide sticky tape onto a leaf they are on. Take the tape
with its catch to the nursery. If the leaf is stuck on, well and good.
If not, at least the bugs will be and if you fold the tape over, they'll
be stuck for ever.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
John Savage

"ideekay" writes:
Before I go beresk with DDT ..........

And where would you get your DDT from? :-)
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

White mites on lawn? Breda Lawns 0 04-06-2006 08:14 AM
white mites in with my worms mike dickson Gardening 2 29-11-2003 12:26 AM
how to rid spider mites off arborvitae? peter Gardening 2 05-04-2003 12:08 AM
Cymbidium spots (mites?) Terri Harris Orchids 1 17-03-2003 07:08 PM
** Help ** Spider Mites Attacking Wilmero Lawns 1 22-10-2002 12:32 PM