Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Wingnut

Default Repairing a young eucalyptus

Can anyone help ?

Is it possible to "re-join" a branch accidentally torn partially off a relatively immature Eucalyptus tree (Flowering Gum) ?

The tree is only about a metre and a half tall, has been in the ground for about 12 months and was (and hopefully still is) quite healthy and happy.

As well as hoping to restore the tree's appearance, I also want to reduce the possibility of infection entering the plant. Is it possibility to adopt the same approach as for grafting of young trees and if so, how can I do it ?

All responses welcomed, Ta.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Darren Wilson

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:29:23 +1100, "Wingnut" wrote:

Can anyone help ?

Is it possible to "re-join" a branch accidentally torn partially off a relatively immature Eucalyptus tree (Flowering Gum) ?

The tree is only about a metre and a half tall, has been in the ground for about 12 months and was (and hopefully still is) quite healthy and happy.

As well as hoping to restore the tree's appearance, I also want to reduce the possibility of infection entering the plant. Is it possibility to adopt the same approach as for grafting of young trees and if so, how can I do it ?

All responses welcomed, Ta.

Such a repair should be done as quickly as possible after the damage occurs
(within an hour is best). However, it may well become a weak spot if it is
successful. You are probably better off neatly cutting the branch off and
letting nature take her course.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Trish Brown

Wingnut wrote:

Can anyone help ?
*
Is it possible to "re-join" a branch accidentally torn partially off a
relatively immature Eucalyptus tree (Flowering Gum) ?
*
The tree is only about a metre and a half tall, has been in the ground
for about 12 months*and was* (and hopefully still is) quite healthy
and happy.
*
As well as hoping to restore the tree's appearance, I also want to
reduce the possibility of infection entering the plant. Is it
possibility to adopt the same approach as for grafting of young trees
and if so, how can I do it ?
*
All responses welcomed, Ta.
*

I've done exactly this and it was quite successful! I had a young
E.cladocalyx nana (Dwarf Sugar Gum) which was damaged in a hailstorm.
The largest, most prominent branch was torn away from the trunk and left
hanging limply. Acting quickly (hope it's not too late for yours!), I
effected a splint with plain old sticky tape and paddle pop sticks.
Today, thirty years later, the tree is healthy and beautiful, the large
branch still in place with absolutely *no* detectable wound from the
early damage!

I think the important thing is in repairing the damage very quickly.
Infections and fungi will certainly enter an open wound, so if time has
passed since the damage occurred to your tree, you might do well to ask
a reputable tree surgeon for advice.

Best of luck with the patient and do let us know how you get on! :-)
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Bushy

Considering how many branches they drop when the ground dries up with the
drought, I'd suggest you prune it to good timber and don't take the risk
that one day your children are playing under it.....

I'm on 160 acres, half of which is gum trees.

Hope this helps,
Peter