Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
S. McLaren

Default Maple or other ornamental trees for West facing garden

Hello,

My front garden faces the setting sun. At the moment I have roses growing
there. They don't seem to like the location (also)because of its exposed
nature.

I'm thinking of replacing them with ornamental trees like maples or cherry
blossums. I'm thinking of getting small slender varieties whose leaves turn
a light red color.

Can I get a few suggestions please?

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"S. McLaren" wrote:

My front garden faces the setting sun. At the moment I have roses growing
there. They don't seem to like the location (also)because of its exposed
nature.

I'm thinking of replacing them with ornamental trees like maples or cherry
blossums. I'm thinking of getting small slender varieties whose leaves turn
a light red color.

Can I get a few suggestions please?

Where do you live?

If your roses are finding this position hard going, I am not sure that maples
or cherries would find it any easier -- roses are very tough plants.

Could you put something fast-growing and tough on your nature strip to provide
a bit of shade and shelter?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids
Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
S. McLaren

My house is built near the top of a hill. I get a lot of wind sometimes and
the soil is hard clay in many places. They seem to be doing OK at the
moment. Maybe they simply had a dull season last year.

I thought that trees - not huge ones - but small maples or something similar
would do better. The previous person
had big native trees growing in the front but they were cut down due to the
hazard they posed. Their branches easily broke during strong winds and would
damage parked cars.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tara Deen

My house is built near the top of a hill. I get a lot of wind sometimes and
the soil is hard clay in many places. They seem to be doing OK at the
moment. Maybe they simply had a dull season last year.

I thought that trees - not huge ones - but small maples or something similar
would do better. The previous person
had big native trees growing in the front but they were cut down due to the
hazard they posed. Their branches easily broke during strong winds and would
damage parked cars.

I sent a post previously, but it appears to have dissapeared into the
ether.

Japanese maples prefer a sheltered spot. I don't think they'd be
suitable for your position. While there are newer, hardier cultivars,
they're mostly bred for looks rather than wind tolerance. I'm not so
sure about the flowering cherries, however.

If you'd like a small deciduous tree for the spot, you may wish to
consider silver birch, golden robinia (both up to 5-7 m) or pomegranate
(3-5 m). They'll all tolerate a windy spot and provide autumn colour. If
you'd like to go with a native that is less likely to drop branches,
perhaps a blueberry ash or something like a Christmas bush (both 3-5 m)
if you wanted a more dense foliage?

All heights are from my faulty memory and may or may not bear any
resemblance to reality.

Tara
Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Tara Deen wrote:

Japanese maples prefer a sheltered spot. I don't think they'd be
suitable for your position. While there are newer, hardier cultivars,
they're mostly bred for looks rather than wind tolerance. I'm not so
sure about the flowering cherries, however.

I can answer that one -- there wouldn't be much of a display. The petals come
off very easily in a breeze.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"S. McLaren" wrote:

My house is built near the top of a hill. I get a lot of wind sometimes and
the soil is hard clay in many places. They seem to be doing OK at the
moment. Maybe they simply had a dull season last year.

I thought that trees - not huge ones - but small maples or something similar
would do better. The previous person
had big native trees growing in the front but they were cut down due to the
hazard they posed. Their branches easily broke during strong winds and would
damage parked cars.

I think you need to replace the "native trees" with some other shelter belt.
If it's a windy spot, rose petals will just blow off. BTW, easily-broken
branches is not a characteristic of the entire set of native trees.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
S. McLaren

"Chookie" wrote in message

I think you need to replace the "native trees" with some other shelter

belt.
If it's a windy spot, rose petals will just blow off. BTW, easily-broken
branches is not a characteristic of the entire set of native trees.

My apologies! I meant the big gum trees - not "all native trees".

I have a few native trees growing on the left side of my garden. But I need
some ornamental trees - trees that turn golden or a "maple red" color.

I'm also afraid that the garden bed in question is too narrow to accomodate
a shelter belt. Moving the roses to the back of the house is probably the
best thing. Its more sheltered and still gets a bit of sun.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Pete 'n' Trish

Hello chookie, if you want yellow colour how about Robinia Fresia or a
Gledidsia.Or a moptop Robinia as a shelter between maple and wind. Acer
Palmatum etc with the dainty finger foliage doesn't like winds. I have a
wonderful maple here in Sydney that is shetered from worst winds by a gum
and looks super summer and autumn. trish in Sydney

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Trish Brown

My Mum's house is in a similar situation in Newcastle. She has
Tibouchinas (three of them in various shades of purple) and a
sun-tolerant Camellia providing good shelter for her roses, which are
thriving.

Mine (roses, that is) are turning steadily into tea-leaves! In spite of
mulch, our soil has almost perfect draining and so I can barely get
their roots wet!

Plumbago makes a nice show and will grow taller than you might think if
you let it. I've seen some lovely deep blue ones around lately, or you
could mix the blue variety with the white one?

I believe some of the native Lilly Pillys make good shelter trees and if
you're into that sort of thing, Casuarinas do too (lovely sound in the
wind!) Mind you, if you plant casuarinas, you *could* end up being
landlord to a cockatoo condominium!

Let us know what you decide, won't you? :-)
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia