GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rats in garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13186-rats-garden.html)

Paul 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

Hi
I am new vegie gardener, this is my first year. We are just starting to get
a few things ripening and now something (I suspect rat) is eating them!
I am reluctant to use baits or traps and was wondering what you folks do?
regards

Paul

Bushy 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

Sit back with a rifle and wait!

Works on rabbits for a few minutes....

Peter

Luke 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

You can borrow my cat, he's been catching plenty lately :-)

Bushy 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

You can borrow my cat, he's been catching plenty lately :-)

Great, another target!

Peter

;)

Mousie 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi
I am new vegie gardener, this is my first year. We are just starting to

get
a few things ripening and now something (I suspect rat) is eating them!
I am reluctant to use baits or traps and was wondering what you folks do?
regards

Paul

Jack Russells are very good at getting rid of rats
--
Mousie

3 )~

---

Dissent 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

Paul wrote:

Hi
I am new vegie gardener, this is my first year. We are just starting
to get a few things ripening and now something (I suspect rat) is
eating them! I am reluctant to use baits or traps and was wondering
what you folks do? regards

Paul

Underpants are a great for catching rats.
--
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, hypocrisy, brutality,
the elite.... All of which are American dreams......

John Savage 05-04-2003 06:34 AM

Rats in garden

"Paul" writes:
I am new vegie gardener, this is my first year. We are just starting to get
a few things ripening and now something (I suspect rat) is eating them!
I am reluctant to use baits or traps and was wondering what you folks do?

I need to regularly bait for rats, otherwise they'll take any snail bait
I put out. At first I was puzzled by the disappearance of the snail bait,
every last pellet, but finally spied a rat in broad daylight skipping
about gathering it up! I thought if he ate enough it might bring about
his own demise, but that wasn't to be.

I place rat bait under an upturned polythene crate, leaving a small gap
under one corner. The crate protects the bait from rain and my hosing,
and stops neighbours' pets from getting to it.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")