Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tom Elliott

Default harvesting radish seeds

I have some radishes that have been growing for months, and they put
out a vast quantity of seed pods.

The trouble is, they are taking up a lot of garden space, and I don't
want rogue radishes growing all over the place.

Is it possible to cut the seed pod bearing branches off and leave them
to dry? The pods have mostly turned a reddish colour, and I wonder if
they will continue to mature if cut from the main plant.

Thanks,

Tom.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Andrew G

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
I have some radishes that have been growing for months, and they put
out a vast quantity of seed pods.

The trouble is, they are taking up a lot of garden space, and I don't
want rogue radishes growing all over the place.

Is it possible to cut the seed pod bearing branches off and leave them
to dry? The pods have mostly turned a reddish colour, and I wonder if
they will continue to mature if cut from the main plant.

Thanks,

Tom.

I assume you want to keep the seed?
If so then probably the best way to collect them is to cut off the pods just
before they start dropping seeds.
Don't cut the pods off real early, as I doubt they will mature.
I haven't grown raddishes before, so I'm not sure on what colour the pods
will be at this time, but keep an eye on them, and you will be able to tell.
Put the pods in a brown paper bag, or envelope. As the pod dries out, the
seeds should fall out.
Get the seeds, then place them in another bag(paper) or envelope for
storage.
This is a general way to collect seeds, so if there are specific ways for
raddish, then anyone please add :-)

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
silvasurfa

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
I have some radishes that have been growing for months, and they put
out a vast quantity of seed pods.

No help with the radish seed saving, but I would like to remind you that
young radish pods are delicious, very edible and make a pretty and crunchy
addition to salads. Definitelly worth always letting one or two radishes go
to seed even if just for the lovelly pods.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Heather Edwards

Seeds will be viable if collected at the right time. If collected too early
they will not be viable nor able to become viable. You really need to pick
them when the pods turn grey/brown before they burst open. Heather.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tom Elliott

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 01:21:20 +1030, "silvasurfa"
wrote:

No help with the radish seed saving, but I would like to remind you that
young radish pods are delicious, very edible and make a pretty and crunchy
addition to salads. Definitelly worth always letting one or two radishes go
to seed even if just for the lovelly pods.

Wow! I wish I had known that sooner, they are all pretty mature now!
I will let some more fo to seed. Thanks for the idea!

radish seeds Rich[_3_] United Kingdom 4 19-10-2011 03:03 PM
BLACK RADISH seeds -- who wanted the info? FragileWarrior Gardening 0 23-03-2007 12:55 PM
How to clean/seperate radish seeds. Ook Gardening 2 10-09-2006 07:12 PM
Harvesting strawberry seeds...? Kenneth United Kingdom 15 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM