Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

Default Mosquito repellents/killers

Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

I've searched the archives of this (and other) newsgroups and there seems to
be a fair number of differing opinions about the various methods of
repelling/killing mosquitos...

Electronic zappers - some people seem to think they work great, others think
they just kill non-annoying bugs like moths etc and do nothing for
mosquitos. Most people agree they are messy and noisy!

Citronella burners - these seems to work in repelling mosquitos but be
prepared to inhale all those lovely fumes.

Citronella plants - some people say these don't work unless you rub the
leaves?? Others indicate they sortof work..

Other plants (some tea trees, some lemon scented gums, etc) - very much a
mixed reaction.

Bottom line is that citronella burners seem to be the best, but personally I
can't stand the smell... so for me they are really out of the question.

I'm leaning towards one of the zappers, but I assume not all zappers are the
same, so any comments on:

a) Are zappers any good
b) Are some types of zappers better than others
c) Any alternatives to zappers which are not citronella burners?

And/or any other suggestions...

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Tish

I have heard that neem oil is quite good, but have not tried it
myself.

Tish

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Andrew G

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

I've searched the archives of this (and other) newsgroups and there seems

be a fair number of differing opinions about the various methods of
repelling/killing mosquitos...

SNIP

Pretty much all the comments you have made about certain repellers is the
same thing I have heard, but I go for citronella candles.
It's bad here on the mid-north coast. Ocean one side, lake the other, and
many areas of bush with water (now after the rain) laying in it.

And/or any other suggestions...

There is a newish type of bug killer that was apparently invented somewhere
around here locally. I am no way affiliated by the way.
Anyway the way it works is you have the typical blue coloured light (maybe
even fluorescent?) that bugs are attracted to. Below it, there is a tray
which you put water in, and i think detergent.
This machine creates a breeze by way of propeller or similar.
The whole idea, is the bug is attracted to the light, get caught in the
breeze, and blown downward into the water. The detergent making them sink.
A guy at work was talking about them a while back, that's all I know, so
sorry I am not to clear on it.
I guess if you are thinking of a zapper, then they work by means of
attracting by light, so this should do similar.
The word Bug eater comes to mind, but I am not totally sure. I will have a
look around and see if I can find an add for one.....

Ok, I was a little wrong. A quick check of the local phone book for "Insect
Control Equipment" found the number which I THINK is the one, it's not a bug
eater
No website, just a phone number.

If you want email me and I can send you the number. I would put it here, but
I ain't going to be flamed for advertising or being accused of affiliated
:-)

my email address is:

remember remove "not"

Oh, I'm in the Forster area, Mid North Coast of NSW, but I think this
"business" has expanded, and they could be readily available

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

"Tish" wrote in message
I have heard that neem oil is quite good, but have not tried it
myself.

Tish

I had a quick look on the 'net for it in australia - there doesn't seem to
be that much info about its specific use as a general area repellent - more
of an insecticide/personal repellent... does this sound right?

Thanks for the info.

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Byrnro

Hi

Don't know if this helps but I grow lavendar and basil in pots and when I
entertain outside I just break some off and sprinkle around the area it seems
to help.

Noni on BHG said that she rubs eucalyptus oil around windows etc. for all the
nasties.(I think that is what she said).

Bobby

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Tish

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:56:11 +1100, "Dave"
wrote:

I had a quick look on the 'net for it in australia - there doesn't seem to
be that much info about its specific use as a general area repellent - more
of an insecticide/personal repellent... does this sound right?

Thanks for the info.

Ciao,
Dave.

Apparently it can be included in mozzie coils, but as I've said - I
don't know much about it. Maybe one of the neem web sites can help
you.

Cheers,
Tish

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Andrew - I have heard about that device (or something similar) before
as well - I must admit I can't remember where I heard about it...

I've decided on a two pronged approach to see what works best for our
location (Sutherland in Sydney)... I'm going to borrow a bug zapper from a
friend and see how that goes by itself, and I'm also going to try it in
conjunction with the citronella candles - but placing the candles far enough
away from where we eat etc to reduce the impact of the smell.

Hopefully the candles will repel most of the insects and any that are game
enough to come through should hopefully get attracted by the zapper before
me!

Anyways, thats the theory.... in practice I'll probable still be stratching!

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I found it - www.mozzie.com.au - It is called a bug eater.

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Grae

Remember the zapper doesnt go near you it needs to be away from you
otherwise it will attract mozzies to you b4 they get zapped!!

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Tom Elliott

And lo, as foretold, on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:46:25 +1100, "Dave"
did write, in letters of flame, :

Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

I've searched the archives of this (and other) newsgroups and there seems to
be a fair number of differing opinions about the various methods of
repelling/killing mosquitos...

Electronic zappers - some people seem to think they work great, others think
they just kill non-annoying bugs like moths etc and do nothing for
mosquitos. Most people agree they are messy and noisy!

Don't hand a zapper over a bbq / food area. I've read that some of
these zappers can cause the bugs to `explode' and send fine pieces of
them drifting about.
Happy Gardening!

--
Tom Elliott
Remove `mapsitna` to email

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dave

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
And lo, as foretold, on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:46:25 +1100, "Dave"
did write, in letters of flame, :

Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

I've searched the archives of this (and other) newsgroups and there seems

be a fair number of differing opinions about the various methods of
repelling/killing mosquitos...

Electronic zappers - some people seem to think they work great, others

think
they just kill non-annoying bugs like moths etc and do nothing for
mosquitos. Most people agree they are messy and noisy!

Don't hand a zapper over a bbq / food area. I've read that some of
these zappers can cause the bugs to `explode' and send fine pieces of
them drifting about.

Yeah thanks Tom, I read that in one US test of zappers... basically they are
not allowed in food preparation areas because of the disease risk - this is
I gather where the "bug eaters" of the world come in - they drown the
mozzies/moths etc in lieu of detonating them - hence they are "safe" in
restaurants, etc.

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Andrew G

..

I found it - www.mozzie.com.au - It is called a bug eater.

Ciao,
Dave.

Yup, that would be the one.
Hmm, must have "branched" out to QLD

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Gabra

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

Its that time of year where mozzies and bbq's don't mix...

snip discussion of citronella etc

I'm leaning towards one of the zappers, but I assume not all zappers are

the
same, so any comments on:

a) Are zappers any good
b) Are some types of zappers better than others
c) Any alternatives to zappers which are not citronella burners?

Read a while ago (sorry to be so vague, but it was a couple of years back)
that the zappers give off a vapour when they kill something that's not
friendly to humans. I don't know whether the quantities are too minute to
cause any harm.

I also saw a comparison in some magazine, also a while ago, that concluded
the mosquito coils were the most effective! Don't know how true any of this
is.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
John Savage

"Dave" writes:
Citronella burners - these seems to work in repelling mosquitos but be
prepared to inhale all those lovely fumes.

There was a flyer doing the rounds in this part of Sydney last week, with
someone trying to flog Sandlewood budda sticks as mozzie repellents. I've
never heard of sandlewood scent being repellent to mosquitoes, but you
could try it. I have used pennyroyal oil and believe it worked, but never
thought to apply it to only one side to see whether the mozzies really
were avoiding it. It burns a little, so apply sparingly to a cloth and
wipe this over the skin. It smells quite nice to humans!

I have seen American writers claiming that a particular skin lotion, not
marketed as a mosquito repellent, nevertheless does an excellent job of
keeping mozzies at bay. Many swear by it, others say they have found it
to be useless. It has a name something like Avon Skin So Soft.

Also, some say that vanilla essence (imitation) rubbed onto the skin
will ward off the mozzies. Give that a try and let us know.

I looked back over the google archives for articles on misc.consumers.
frugal-living to refresh my memory of some other recommendations that
have emerged from time to time, and chuckled at this impish note:

| Citronella oil sprays worked for me, for about half an hour.
| I had to keep reapplying.
|
| I've read good reports about bear grease and mud.

IMO, there are some species of mosquitoes so bloodthirsty that nothing
short of a thorough lathering in DEET will keep them at bay.

And when the bottle of DEET lotion says "prolonged use of this product
could be dangerous" what is the ballpark figure for the "prolonged use"
that I should avoid??? Hours? Days? Weeks? And does death by DEET come
suddenly and without warning? Inquirying minds wish to know .....
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

cat/dog repellents fred Gardening 10 15-05-2019 04:28 PM
Squirrel repellents Phisherman[_3_] Gardening 14 02-08-2010 01:34 AM
new mosquito killers any good? rb Lawns 0 10-06-2007 07:47 AM
natural/organic insecticides/repellents? Megan Milligan Gardening 10 20-10-2003 12:02 AM
Mosquito Deleto vs. Mosquito Magnet MarkG Gardening 1 10-06-2003 11:20 AM