Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
S. McLaren

Default Killing Black birds

Hi,

I've got a pack of black birds who are rumaging thru my garden, digging up
my plants, mulch etc.. I want to kill them. They are a pest.

Can someone suggest a suitable poison? I tried feeding them rat poison but
it had no effect on the buggers. I roughly know where they like to dig. No
other birds would be harmed because I'll watch over the spot. Anyhow, the
black birds have driven out all the other birds except the big scary ravens.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dissent

S. McLaren wrote:

Hi,

I've got a pack of black birds who are rumaging thru my garden,
digging up my plants, mulch etc.. I want to kill them. They are a
pest.

Can someone suggest a suitable poison? I tried feeding them rat
poison but it had no effect on the buggers. I roughly know where they
like to dig. No other birds would be harmed because I'll watch over
the spot. Anyhow, the black birds have driven out all the other birds
except the big scary ravens.

Cheers!

I think you'll find killing them is highly illegal.
--
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, hypocrisy, brutality,
the elite.... All of which are American dreams......

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dwayne

I don't know if it works, but it is certainly worth a try, but I have heard
that there are two methods that some people use.

One is to get some old CDs for a computer. There are a lot of giveaways
that people have who use them. Tie them to a tree limb or on a wire and let
the wind blow them around. The flashing silver color is supposed to chase
birds away. I used it to keep birds from flying into my wire put up to
support my TV antenna. Before I tried it, I had 1 bird per month walking
around with a broken wing. After I put it up, I saw mo more injured birds.

The other involves finding one that has died or been killed. Hang it up in
plain view of the others. I have never tried that method, but it is worth
the effort, especially if it works.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Barbara

Dwayne wrote:
I don't know if it works, but it is certainly worth a try, but I have
heard that there are two methods that some people use.

One is to get some old CDs for a computer. There are a lot of
giveaways that people have who use them. Tie them to a tree limb or
on a wire and let the wind blow them around. The flashing silver
color is supposed to chase birds away. I used it to keep birds from
flying into my wire put up to support my TV antenna. Before I tried
it, I had 1 bird per month walking around with a broken wing. After
I put it up, I saw mo more injured birds.

The other involves finding one that has died or been killed. Hang it
up in plain view of the others. I have never tried that method, but
it is worth the effort, especially if it works.

Some strategically placed rubber snakes may work, worked for me with the
scrub turkeys
--
Barbara

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Gary

Some interesting things happening in Canberra in relation to these (assuming
you are referring to the Indian Mynah).

http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/myna/index.html

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/s595922.htm

Gary

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Tom Elliott

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 06:37:51 -0700, "Dwayne" wrote:

I don't know if it works, but it is certainly worth a try, but I have heard
that there are two methods that some people use.

One is to get some old CDs for a computer. There are a lot of giveaways
that people have who use them. Tie them to a tree limb or on a wire and let

Cds work really well, they spin and flash and generally no bird wants
to go near them. Other good deterrents I've found are :

Strips of plastic shopping bag tied to stakes. They flutter in very
light breeze and seem to frighten birds.

Fishing line strung between stakes at a low level. The birds have a
hard time spotting it, but it keeps them away as they can't move
around freely on the ground.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
John Savage

"S. McLaren" writes:
I've got a pack of black birds who are rumaging thru my garden, digging up
my plants, mulch etc.. I want to kill them. They are a pest.

There is mention made from time to time of "black birds", but I don't just
know what they are, for they seem not to be part of the Sydney scene. I
assume they must be an introduced species? It is not legal to kill any
native species, no matter how humanely it could be done.

I once needed to capture an Indian Mynah that was the victim of some
tangled fishing line, and I experimented with feeding it pieces of
valium tablet inside small balls of squashed bread. I estimate that it
would take between half and one whole tablet to slow the bird right
down to allow it to be easily netted. Other species might react quite
differently, though. The advantage of using a sedative instead of some
poison is that if the wrong bird gets the bread, after a short spell
of drowsiness it should be perfectly okay. Once you have your target
in hand, you can dispose of it quickly and humanely, if permissible.
Make sure that you keep the birds around for the 30 minutes or so that
it takes for the sedative to take effect; you don't want them to fall
asleep in a tree over your pool, or in a neighbour's yard, etc.

it had no effect on the buggers. I roughly know where they like to dig. No
other birds would be harmed because I'll watch over the spot. Anyhow, the
black birds have driven out all the other birds except the big scary ravens.

Make sure you can legally dispose of them before taking action.

A suggestion that I have heard for gardeners whose grounds are host to
enthusiastic diggers such as brush turkeys and lyre birds is to fix
chicken wire or nylon netting (of the type used by turf growers to hold
their rolled turf together) over the top of your mulch.

Can someone nominate a web site that has photos of these black birds?
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Geodyne

John Savage wrote:
"S. McLaren" writes:

I've got a pack of black birds who are rumaging thru my garden, digging up
my plants, mulch etc.. I want to kill them. They are a pest.

There is mention made from time to time of "black birds", but I don't just
know what they are, for they seem not to be part of the Sydney scene. I
assume they must be an introduced species? It is not legal to kill any
native species, no matter how humanely it could be done.

They are an introduced species John, native to Britain. I've seen them
in Sydney, in fact I have one that occasionaly visits mt house.

Can someone nominate a web site that has photos of these black birds?

Best I can find on the net:

http://kiwicards.newzealand.co.nz/pa..._Birds/Birds/#

The blackbird is bottom right, and you can magnify the image. They're a
black bird (suprise!) about the size of a magpie lark, with yellow beak
and legs.

Tara

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
silvasurfa

"Geodyne" wrote in message
John Savage wrote:
"S. McLaren" writes:

[...]

Yep, sure are an introduced species.

Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye,
4 and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.

Given the size of blackbirds, if you boned them out, 24 would still make a
darn small pie. And how would anyone ever cath 24 of them... they move very
quickly indeed and stick near cover.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Montana

"silvasurfa" wrote in message . ..
"Geodyne" wrote in message
John Savage wrote:
"S. McLaren" writes:

[...]

I have them bloody picking at my garden every bloody day. They are
more of a nuisance than a cat. They have also bred in my gutter and
they continually sit on the optus line and shit on my front yard. Then
we can't even water their shit down because of the lack of water in
Vic. No win situation. I will try anything to get rid of these birds.
cheers,
Kat