Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dave

Default Sir Walter Buffalo - seed pods?

Hi all,

My Sir Walter lawn has sprouted what looks like seed pods pretty much all
over the lawn - they relatively stiff shoots with small purple flowers on
them.

It did this last year as well (hence I don't think its related to the
drought) and after a few weeks everything returned to normal, but I was
wondering if these are indeed "normal" and to be expected.

According to www.sirwalter.com.au sir walter is a sterile male plpant, so I
did not expect it to seed in this way (if indeed seeding is what it is
doing!)

Is this normal?

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Andrew G

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

My Sir Walter lawn has sprouted what looks like seed pods pretty much all
over the lawn - they relatively stiff shoots with small purple flowers on
them.

It did this last year as well (hence I don't think its related to the
drought) and after a few weeks everything returned to normal, but I was
wondering if these are indeed "normal" and to be expected.

According to www.sirwalter.com.au sir walter is a sterile male plpant, so

did not expect it to seed in this way (if indeed seeding is what it is
doing!)

Is this normal?

If it is sterile, and male, then by rights there should be NO seeds in it at
all.
Flower heads are possible, then the labelling of it as "sterile" can mean 2
things:
The pollen produced by the flowers is sterile, therefore if it is crossed
with a female seeds will not be produced
OR
being a male it will only ever produce pollen and never seeds.

There you go, I never knew this grass was male or female.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Andrew G" wrote:

There you go, I never knew this grass was male or female.

Of course it's male. Whoever heard of a female called Walter?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Once long ago, against her breast, a mother hush'd a babe to rest
Who was the Prince of heav'n above, the Lord of gentleness and love...
John Wheeler, 'The Silver Stars are in the Sky'
Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

How's the Sir Walter Buffalo otherwise? I'm thinking of using it out the
front where the garden receives a mix of direct sun for most of the day &
dappled shade all year round. Any pros & cons with using it in these
conditions? Still in Perth, very dry & very sandy

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dave

Given its only really rained once here in 6 months (Sydney) I'm quite happy
with it - its doing as good if not better than my neighbours lawns but I do
find I have to keep the water up to it as I have very shallow (ie: 20cm)
sandy soil on top of a sandstone shelf.

Its only been down 14 months - and I hope that given "normal" rainfall and
an established root system I won't have to water it very often... but I
guess I'll have to wait till at least next summer to find out!

Most of my lawn is in full sun all day - one section however receives no
direct sun at all during winter and it does die off a bit - you defintately
would not want any foot traffic in this area.

So only real "con" if you like is that you do not want heavy traffic in a
shaded area of the lawn - but as far as I can tell this is the case for all
lawns.

Full sun - as long as it gets enough water - no worries.

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dave

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I'm guessing they are probably flower heads given the small purple
flowers... guess the poor buggers shooting blanks!

Thanks for the info,
Ciao.
Dave.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

--

&

Dave wrote in message
Hi all,

My Sir Walter lawn has sprouted what looks like seed pods pretty much

all
over the lawn - they relatively stiff shoots with small purple flowers

on
them.

It did this last year as well (hence I don't think its related to the
drought) and after a few weeks everything returned to normal, but I

was
wondering if these are indeed "normal" and to be expected.

According to www.sirwalter.com.au sir walter is a sterile male plpant,

so
did not expect it to seed in this way (if indeed seeding is what it is
doing!)

Is this normal?

Ciao,
Dave.

Fantastic. Thanks Dave.
Arrivederci!

oriental pea pods/ sugar pods WARRENRN1 Gardening 1 27-09-2003 03:33 AM
anyone need a bag of Buffalo grass seed? *GONE* Dave-tx Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Where to buy buffalo seed Vinny Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Sir Walter - "frizzling" in hot weather Dave Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
anyone need a bag of Buffalo grass seed? Dave-tx Texas 1 27-02-2003 03:18 PM