Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tom Elliott

Default Tomatoes vs root rot.

Hi all,

I'm growing tomatoes using a drip system of my own devising, and I was
wondering about using mulch to help water retention. I read about
root rot, but I don't know what conditions would cause such a thing.

Ideally, I'd like to use chopped lucernce as a mulch, it's working
beautifully on my potatoes. Would this lead to root rot or fungal
problems?

Tom.
Happy Gardening!

--
Tom Elliott
Remove `mapsitna` to email
Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Andrew G

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm growing tomatoes using a drip system of my own devising, and I was
wondering about using mulch to help water retention. I read about
root rot, but I don't know what conditions would cause such a thing.

Ideally, I'd like to use chopped lucernce as a mulch, it's working
beautifully on my potatoes. Would this lead to root rot or fungal
problems?

Adding a mulch will help, by keeping the ground cooler, and keeping the
moisture in.
Of course, this will mean you won't have to water as often.
Root rot shouldn't be a problem, unless the soil becomes "wet".
Cut the watering (dripping) back if you mulch. Keep a check for the first
week or 2, to adjust watering as needed.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Azalea Root Rot ?? James Nipper Lawns 5 16-09-2004 02:33 AM
Dragon Tree - root rot symptoms? TanQ10 Gardening 5 13-02-2004 11:12 PM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 01:49 PM