Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Tom Elliott

Default Tomatoes (again)

I was in Bunning's the other day and saw a `tomato frame', which was
made of a widely spaced rigid mesh, which formed into a triangle.
This is then put around a tomato plant, and supports it.

Has anyone here used these? What are some of the pros and cons of
this vs staking?
Happy Gardening!

--
Tom Elliott
Remove `mapsitna` to email
Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Elguapo

If you are talking about a support which is breen plastic coated and costs
around 6 or 7 dollars then I think are great. I have a tomatoe plant that
is about 4ft high at the moment and it is all being supported by the
triangle. For the price i don't think you can go wrong.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Dwayne

You could make your own tomato cages out of some fence. Get some that will
be tall enough to do the job, and roll it into a circle that is big enough
for your plant. Cut it off at that length, and make as many as you need.
Roll them all into circles and then bend over the ends to secure them
together.

Select fence with large enough holes to allow you to reach into the circle
and pick tomatoes, or they will be hard to get out. Also you can cut off
the bottom circle between the vertical strands. This will give you some
"legs" to hold it in the ground so wind or weight of the plant wont tip the
cage over later.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
John L.Hennessy

Tom,
Bunnings in NSW sell "Tomato Trellis" which is a heavy duty galvanised wire
mesh 120mm square. I think a 10 or 15m roll is about $30. I made my own and
I found that 45cm diameter is the optimum size. Too big and the plant will
eventually "fall" back down on itself inside the cage. I would recommend the
use of a small stake and tie it once or twice before letting it run wild!
This just helps support the lower branches. I now also prune the first one
or two laterals. I use two stakes inside the cage to support it - diagonally
opposite. You can tie the cage up about 30cm from the ground as there is
nothing down there to contain, giving a little extra height.
The cages are the greatest thing I have ever seen for tomatoes! The
conventional method of pruning and staking is just so time consuming. I'd
estimate that I now spend 5% of the time I used to in tending my Toms. Hope
this helps a little.
Hendo