Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Tazman

Default leeks

Being my first time growing leeks .. how can you tell that they are ready to
harvest...

Currently have 50 or so ranging from about 5mm thick to about 20mm..

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dissent

Tazman wrote:

Being my first time growing leeks .. how can you tell that they are
ready to harvest...

Currently have 50 or so ranging from about 5mm thick to about 20mm..

When you start to see the more mature leeks wearing old, skin coloured
underwear the younger ones are usually ready to pick.

--
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, hypocrisy, brutality,
the elite.... All of which are American dreams......

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:13:18 +0800, "Tazman"
wrote:

Being my first time growing leeks .. how can you tell that they are ready to
harvest...

Currently have 50 or so ranging from about 5mm thick to about 20mm..

Easy: harvest one whenever you'd like one for dinner, from now right
up to when they flower. They'll happily grow for up to 2 years before
flowering, and even then you can eat the flower stem by peeling the
tough skin away.

And if you don't pull the whole plant out, but just cut the stem above
the soil line (or pull the soil back so it doesn't swamp the plant
where you've cut it) the leek will grow back and you can have a number
of repeat crops.

Tara

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
silvasurfa

"Geodyne" wrote in message

Easy: harvest one whenever you'd like one for dinner, from now right
up to when they flower. They'll happily grow for up to 2 years before
flowering, and even then you can eat the flower stem by peeling the
tough skin away.

And if you don't pull the whole plant out, but just cut the stem above
the soil line (or pull the soil back so it doesn't swamp the plant
where you've cut it) the leek will grow back and you can have a number
of repeat crops.

Tara

That sounds pretty nifty, I've steered away from the onion family partly
because of glut issues, but maybe leeks have more to offer than I thought.
Are the flowers edible too?

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Trish Brown

silvasurfa wrote:

That sounds pretty nifty, I've steered away from the onion family partly
because of glut issues, but maybe leeks have more to offer than I thought.
Are the flowers edible too?

Another good reason to grow leeks is that oftentimes, those who can't
tolerate onions can digest leeks quite comfortably! I buy leeks when
they're cheap (maybe a dollar each) and slice them thinly. I keep them
in the freezer and chisel off a hunk when I need it for cooking.

I *cannot* eat onions! They do me ill in the innard!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Geodyne

silvasurfa wrote:

That sounds pretty nifty, I've steered away from the onion family partly
because of glut issues, but maybe leeks have more to offer than I thought.
Are the flowers edible too?

I can't say I've ever tried then, but I eat Pak Choi and Bok Choi flowers.
The flowers would probably do OK in a salad if you broke them up. If you
try them let us know how you went.

Tara

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

I've got a nice recipe for potato & leek soup here somewhere if you're
interested

Hope your xmas day went well & your turkey was succulent!

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
silvasurfa

"Geodyne" wrote in message
silvasurfa wrote:

That sounds pretty nifty, I've steered away from the onion family partly
because of glut issues, but maybe leeks have more to offer than I

thought.
Are the flowers edible too?

I can't say I've ever tried then, but I eat Pak Choi and Bok Choi flowers.
The flowers would probably do OK in a salad if you broke them up. If you
try them let us know how you went.

Tara

I'll have to grow some first... which means finding space in our postage
stamp sized garden. At least leeks grow sort of vertically.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Geodyne

silvasurfa wrote:

I'll have to grow some first... which means finding space in our postage
stamp sized garden. At least leeks grow sort of vertically.

They, and all of the onion species, are good companion plants for low
growing
spreaders like strawberries. I've also used leeks and garlic at the very
edges of beds to mark out divisions when I've done square foot
gardening.If you're doing sq. ft gardening, you can get 9-12 to the
square foot.

It's worth growing your own leeks. They make great soup, and also a
great side dish with curry if you fry them up iwth onion and garlic, add
turnmeric, chilli, s&p, maldive fish (if you can find it in Sri Lankan
spice stores) and cover and cook over a low heat for 20 mins. They also
make a great frittata with a little garlic and parsley. Adn they're just
all round yummy.

Tara

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 6 28-03-2003 06:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM