Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
CandL

Default Downy mildew query

Hi..!!

I'm new to the group and new to gardening. Have set up an organic garden
but am having trouble with mildew.... I've learnt the hard way to NOT water
my cucurbits from overhead.

Black Jack Zucchinis developed a major case of Downey mildew and it spread
to neighbouring Lebanese Cucumbers.. causing early demise of all the plants
effected. We have pulled them out and safely disposed of the diseased
plants but now I wonder if I should treat the surrounding soil or just
replant with something else as though nothing has happened.

I would be grateful for any advise on what to do for the best.
--

Lena G
Brisbane

---

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Geodyne

Hi Lena,

Black Jack Zucchinis developed a major case of Downey mildew and it spread
to neighbouring Lebanese Cucumbers.. causing early demise of all the plants
effected. We have pulled them out and safely disposed of the diseased
plants but now I wonder if I should treat the surrounding soil or just
replant with something else as though nothing has happened.

I would be grateful for any advise on what to do for the best.
--

OK, so you've learnt about watering the hard way. All cucurbits are very
prone to powdery mildew, zucchini especially. In the end that's what

There's no need to treat the soil before planting anything else, as the
fungal spores responsible for powdery mildew tend to be in all soils.
Instead you should concentrate on avoiding splashing the spores onto
your plants, by low watering for example. If yo do begin to notice
powdery mildew on your plants, try spraying them weekly with a 1:10
dilution of powdered milk, or chamomile tea at the same ratio (let the
teabag soak in the cup for 1/2 an hour before diluting). They're the
best organic anti-fungal agents but they still won't help a bad case of
powdery mildew. You should also try to plant the next zucchini plants in
a different spot to avoid a buildup of any pathigens (crop rotation)

If anyone starts noticing black and yellow "ladybugs" on their plants,
they're an indication that you'll have powdery mildew within a week or
two. The bugs like to feed on the exudations of the mildew spores.

I have also heard from a very good source recently that sprinkling
coarse yellow cornmeal (polenta) on both leaves and soil can result in a
stronger anti-fungal effect than both milk and chamomile. I haven't yet
had the chance to try it for myself. If anyone does try it could they
let me know what the results are?

Tara

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
CandL

"Geodyne" wrote in message
Hi Lena,

[...]

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge, Tara. You have put my mind at rest.
gbg I thought I had ruined my garden....!!!!

I did notice the yellow bugs... and wondered what they were..!!!

We are planting a crop of apple cucumbers in another part of the garden... I
will practice better watering and garden hygiene techniques this time.....
and will have the milk spray at the ready... :-)

Heaven forbid if I get a second chance..... but knowing me I probably
will.... I _will_ try the polenta and duly report the said results.

Lena G

---

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:28:59 +1000, "CandL"
wrote:

I did notice the yellow bugs... and wondered what they were..!!!

I had the opportunity to identify them with an insect expert at the
University of Sydney several years ago. Talking to those guys made me
realise that there are a bewildering array of insects out the no on
person can be an expert on them all!
We are planting a crop of apple cucumbers in another part of the garden... I
will practice better watering and garden hygiene techniques this time.....
and will have the milk spray at the ready... :-)

Heaven forbid if I get a second chance..... but knowing me I probably
will.... I _will_ try the polenta and duly report the said results.

I'm afraid you will almost certainly get a second chance. In our
climate powdery mildew is an inevitability on curcurbits, it's just a
matter of how long you can delay the inevitible. I noticed powdery
mildew on my zucchini the other day after some rain.

Try to get in the habit of a weekly inspection of the leaves so you
can catch any problems before they get too bad. If you try the
cornmeal, try a light sprinkling on the soil or a solution sprayed on
leaves. And good luck!

Tara

onion downy mildew disaster michael United Kingdom 2 11-09-2008 09:39 AM
Downy mildew on onions this year michael United Kingdom 1 11-07-2008 06:10 PM
Downy mildew on grapevines Sacha United Kingdom 9 23-11-2006 10:51 PM
Downy mildew? Andrew United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 02:08 PM
Downy Mildew , Onions Drew & Sue United Kingdom 1 04-07-2003 11:32 PM