Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
KH

Default zucchini's

Am currently raising some seedlings to grow zucchini in my back yard... any
advice or suggestions on this?

TIA,
Kirsten.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
len brauer

g'day kirsten,

mine get full sun with well drained growing medium, i get good
harvests and powdery mildew is no problem. a word to the wise (not
knowing how big you family is or waht you plan to do with the
harvest), they are prolific producers once in full swing you will get
at least 1 zucchini per plant per day. i had 5 plants and harvested
between 3 and 5 fruits each day.

pick them small they taste better.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Dwayne

Hello. We moved here from another part of the country a little over a year
ago, and noticed that the people here don't lock the cars and a lot don't
even take the keys out of them when they go into a store.

When I mentioned it to one of my cousins, they said that everyone locked
their car from July through September. I asked them why and they told me
"so that someone doesn't fill it with zucchini's".

They can be made into cakes, jelly, stew, fried, and probably have a dozen
uses not mentioned here. Good luck. Dwayne

"len brauer" wrote in message
g'day kirsten,

mine get full sun with well drained growing medium, i get good
harvests and powdery mildew is no problem. a word to the wise (not
knowing how big you family is or waht you plan to do with the
harvest), they are prolific producers once in full swing you will get
at least 1 zucchini per plant per day. i had 5 plants and harvested
between 3 and 5 fruits each day.

pick them small they taste better.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
len brauer

g'day dwayne,

chuckle good one, sounds true but. i'll be in touch for some recipes
when my next plants begin to fruit should i ahve excess fruit.

happy new year

len

snipped

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
SG1

Water ONLY in the morning to avoid Powdery Mildew.
I only found this out this year after many years of good crops of mildew and
some vegies. Ah well I finally learnt!!!!!
Jim
In beautiful outback Qld. Well it would be if it rained?????

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
silvasurfa

"SG1" wrote in message
.. .
Water ONLY in the morning to avoid Powdery Mildew.
I only found this out this year after many years of good crops of mildew

and
some vegies. Ah well I finally learnt!!!!!
Jim
In beautiful outback Qld. Well it would be if it rained?????

Do you think maybe using that Charlie Carp fertiliser would help with the
mildew? I know Burkes Backyard or Gardening Australia did a story on roses
at Flemington racetrack, and apparently since they started using fish
fertiliser as a foliar spray they have been able to stop treating the roses
for black spot so much.

Failing that, make sure they get plenty of fresh air circulating. Never
could grow crepe myrtles until I worked out the only way to stop the flowers
dissolving into mildew was to grow them in a very airy spot.... windswept
even.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Geodyne

silvasurfa wrote:

Do you think maybe using that Charlie Carp fertiliser would help with the
mildew? I know Burkes Backyard or Gardening Australia did a story on roses
at Flemington racetrack, and apparently since they started using fish
fertiliser as a foliar spray they have been able to stop treating the roses
for black spot so much

That would probably be because they were growing strongly. A healthy
plant is more likely to resist disease, just like a healthy person, and
foliar sprays are a good method of feeding a plant. It would be more
prevention than cure. Seaweed fertiliser would do the same job.

While a good fertiliser won't help the mildew once it's established, it
can certainly help the plant outgrow it! I once had a zucchini planted
in pure mushroom compost grow and provide me with several zucchini each
week for a couple of months despite being convered in powdery mildew!

Tara

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

"Dwayne" wrote:
When I mentioned it to one of my cousins, they said that everyone locked
their car from July through September. I asked them why and they told me
"so that someone doesn't fill it with zucchini's".

Good one! Read "chokos" for "zucchinis" here.

They can be made into cakes, jelly, stew, fried, and probably have a dozen
uses not mentioned here. Good luck. Dwayne

I think I've seen the tiny ones grated and added to a salad.

"len brauer" wrote:
pick them small they taste better.

As well, if you pick them while the flower is still wide open, besides
a tastier fruit, you also get the flower which can be fried in light
batter.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg Tracey Gardening 1 22-07-2003 06:32 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg (1/1) Some One Gardening 5 22-07-2003 03:42 PM
Zucchini problems Bill Gardening 1 11-06-2003 09:08 PM
Zucchini is dying Vanis Texas 4 02-06-2003 03:44 AM
Zucchini, carrot seeds, need them! COcon28932 Edible Gardening 2 24-05-2003 05:32 PM