GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jacarandas failing... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13250-jacarandas-failing.html)

Trish Brown 05-04-2003 06:35 AM

Jacarandas failing...

I'm writing on behalf of a friend whose parents have planted an avenue
of jacarandas leading from the roadway to their property at Girvan, near
Stroud, NSW. The trees did very well for a while, but now, two years
after planting and in spite of careful watering they are beginning to
yellow and die off. The soil is 'a bit clayey' and the aspect is in full
sun and on a gentle slope. Other saplings (native eucalypts, lilly
pillys etc) are doing well, but the jacarandas are not.

Any ideas please?
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Pete 'n' Trish 05-04-2003 06:35 AM

Jacarandas failing...

Hello trish I read an article somewhere about this and its got something to
do with the drought. A lot of trees are thinking there number is up this
year with the drought so the Jacaranders flowered early andall there growth
is going into seed production in case they cark in this year. In Sydney they
flowered early and not so good. Try mulching. ..Trish in Sydney.. :)

JWSM 05-04-2003 06:35 AM

Jacarandas failing...

Jacaranda trees don't like clay. Our tree, planted in early 1970s, still
looks like a stunted bonsai, when others in nearby streets are four times
its
size.

[email protected] 05-04-2003 06:35 AM

Jacarandas failing...