Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
D_Mozina

Default African Violets

I have very healthy AFRICAN VIOLETS, however, they are not flowering, can
anyone help me with this problem.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Trish Brown

D_Mozina wrote:

I have very healthy AFRICAN VIOLETS, however, they are not flowering, can
anyone help me with this problem.

It's nearly always because of lack of light. Can you move them a little
closer to a window? Can you light them with a lamp (preferably a
fluorescent one) for a little longer each day? Can you open a curtain to
give them just a little more light in the mornings?

I've heard it said that yellow spectrum light really helps African
Violets to thrive and my Mum's certainly did when she hung yellow
curtains! (It was remarkable to see!)

Afrcian Violets can be quite a challenge to grow, but once you find the
perfect spot for them (ie. correct balance of light, humidity and
temperature), they grow like weeds and will flower prolifically for you!

Best of luck!
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Willow

As well as the issue of too little light as already mentioned, I've heard
that it can be related to the lack of nutrients. Some one suggested to that
I dilute the blood etc contained in the wrapping that raw meat comes in when
you buy it. If it is this that's causing it to flower, it's working a treat!
It could also be that the plant sits on a window sill that receives direct
sun in the mornings.

Have you seen the range of African Violets available? I recently saw a
display down the local shopping center! It's amazing the range of sizes,
colours etc that these things come in.

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~
.. .

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Trish Brown

Willow wrote:

snip

Have you seen the range of African Violets available? I recently saw a
display down the local shopping center! It's amazing the range of sizes,
colours etc that these things come in.

--
Wanda

Yes! My favourites are the intensely pink, waxy tiny flowers on the
miniature trailing varieties! Some of the flowers can look like
tightly-packed roses while others have wildly variegated foliage and
smaller or more insignificant flowers. You really need to contact a
breeder of African Violets in order to get any idea of the variety of
plants available - you certainly won't see a fraction of the diversity
if you only look in ordinary nurseries!

FWIW, your basic violets (ie. _Viola_ species) can be interesting to
collect, too! I have about half-a-dozen varieties filling my side lane
with their glorious scent and am on the lookout for a local-ish nursery
that sells non-mainstream violets. Violets like shady spots and are
remarkably hardy, spreading quickly to fill an area with tightly-packed,
deep-green foliage. I've found that snipping off the foliage just before
flowering will yield many more blooms (and makes it a lot easier to pick
out the rotten snails and slugs who love to dine on your violets when
you're not looking!)

One year, my kids made some really nice pot pourri by hanging bunches of
violets upside down for a few weeks and then stitching them into net
bags.

Oh, and BTW, ordinary violets are called _Viola_, but African Violets
are _Saintpaulia_ spp. Just in case you wanted to look them up... :-)

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Window for African Violets and a Leaf with Roots? ... Linda W. Gardening 4 19-08-2003 02:12 PM
African violets Catbird Texas 0 28-04-2003 06:32 AM
African violets cc0058529 Gardening 3 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
multiple african violets in the same pot???? Ted Byers Gardening 3 09-03-2003 07:57 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM