Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Warren Sergent

Default Can Anyone Identify For Me?

I recently poured a heap of seeds into my garden in order to get some decent
flowers.. well, basically achieved that, but a couple of plants turned up
unexpectedly (tomatoes, for instant).. but these two I am not sure about..

http://spakatak.0catch.com/plant/index.html

Can someone tell me what they are, and whether they should flower sometime?
If they won't flower, then i'll yank 'em and put them elsewhere, but i'd
still like to know what they are, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Warren.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Willow

Kinda looks like fennel to me. The plant does flower & the seeds are great
in curry. The Indian restaurant I used to live with had a bowl of fennel
seeds & sugar at their front counter for customers to try, it tasted a lot
like liquorice.

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Trish Brown

Warren Sergent wrote:

I recently poured a heap of seeds into my garden in order to get some decent
flowers.. well, basically achieved that, but a couple of plants turned up
unexpectedly (tomatoes, for instant).. but these two I am not sure about..

http://spakatak.0catch.com/plant/index.html

Can someone tell me what they are, and whether they should flower sometime?
If they won't flower, then i'll yank 'em and put them elsewhere, but i'd
still like to know what they are, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Warren.

Gee, that plant looks familiar! I've seen it somewhere and just can't
remember where...

I don't think it's fennel, because fennel gets a thick, fibrous white
base with 'ribs' sort of like celery. The quickest way to tell is to
squish some of the leaves between your fingers: fennel smells strongly
of aniseed.

I *think* it's something like comfrey or chamomile: one of the BYC
(bloody yellow composites). It will eventually get a smallish white or
yellow daisy flower if it belongs to that family...

Hope someone can post what it *really* is, 'cause now you've got me
wondering!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
dave

it could always be a margurite diasy. Thats my complete guess.
David

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Jane VR

Warren Sergent wrote:

I recently poured a heap of seeds into my garden in order to get some
decent
flowers.. well, basically achieved that, but a couple of plants turned up
unexpectedly (tomatoes, for instant).. but these two I am not sure about..

http://spakatak.0catch.com/plant/index.html

Can someone tell me what they are, and whether they should flower
sometime?
If they won't flower, then i'll yank 'em and put them elsewhere, but i'd
still like to know what they are, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

-Warren.

I would guess fennel, too.

Jane

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Terry Collins

Warren Sergent wrote:

http://spakatak.0catch.com/plant/index.html

Aniseed or Fennel, or something else - {:-) . I've seen something
similar, but couldn't think of the name.

If it has an aniseed smell (rub some in your hand), it could be one of
the above,...

but the finess of the leaves hints otherwise.

Also may be Celerac, but I've never seen the top growing, but its bulb
end is like aniseed and it can be eaten or used as a celery stalk
replacement (the buld end).

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: www:
http://www.woa.com.au

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Gerard

Warren, can't help with the plant although it liiks like fennel does it smell
like aniseed?

But I _really_ like your frog, where did you get it because I want one, I really
don't need one, I want one....g

Gerard

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Trish Brown wrote:

I don't think it's fennel, because fennel gets a thick, fibrous white
base with 'ribs' sort of like celery. The quickest way to tell is to
squish some of the leaves between your fingers: fennel smells strongly
of aniseed.

You are thinking of Florence fennel. There is common fennel, which lacks the
fat base and looks like dill from a distance.

I think it's too coarse even for fennel, and has the wrong growth habit. I'm
betting on cosmos. Pink or white daisy flowers, about a metre high.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

The most consistent empirical proof from history is the doctrine of human
depravity. -- Chuck Colson
Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Chookie

In article , Terry Collins
wrote:

Also may be Celerac, but I've never seen the top growing, but its bulb
end is like aniseed and it can be eaten or used as a celery stalk
replacement (the buld end).

Celeriac has stalks and leaves that look like wimpy celery. They can be used
like celery, but are more fibrous. Better to peel and slice the bulb for use
in soups, stews etc.

I think by aniseed you may mean Florence fennel, which isn't really a root as
celeriac is, but widened stem-bases.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
stolie

if it doesnt smell like aniseed, then they look like cosmos to me, if they
get purple flowers, then it is cosmos

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Warren Sergent

"Gerard" wrote in message
Warren, can't help with the plant although it liiks like fennel does it

smell
like aniseed?

But I _really_ like your frog, where did you get it because I want one, I

really
don't need one, I want one....g

The big one I got a couple of years ago at the Reject Shop i think, it was
only $15.
The smaller one I picked up later on at Clint's Crazy Bargains for about $2.

-Warren.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Warren Sergent

"Warren Sergent" wrote in message
I recently poured a heap of seeds into my garden in order to get some

decent
flowers.. well, basically achieved that, but a couple of plants turned up
unexpectedly (tomatoes, for instant).. but these two I am not sure about..

http://spakatak.0catch.com/plant/index.html

Can someone tell me what they are, and whether they should flower

sometime?
If they won't flower, then i'll yank 'em and put them elsewhere, but i'd
still like to know what they are, so any help would be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks for the assistance everyone, by the looks of things, they're likely
to be Cosmos, as I'm pretty sure the seed mix may have had some cosmos in
it. I just wasn't expecting them so tall.. hope they transplant easily, as
I'll probably move them to another garden.

Thanks again,
-Warren

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Golden One

[...]

Definitely Cosmos, probably the white one. My experience being that the
white is the only one to get this large. I wouldn't try transplanting, they
are too large now. Cosmos do best when the seeds are planted where the plant
is to grow. Even when transplanted as seedlings they do not seem to reach
full potential with regard to height and strength.

Your cosmos looks very well and should flower prolifically, keep removing
spent flowers and you will have many weeks of flowers. Let a few flowers
develop seed and collect or let them self sow. I have them everywhere from a
packet of seed sown several years ago and I just remove the unwanted ones
each year.

Regards

JB

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article , Warren Sergent wrote:

Thanks for the assistance everyone, by the looks of things, they're likely
to be Cosmos, as I'm pretty sure the seed mix may have had some cosmos in
it. I just wasn't expecting them so tall.. hope they transplant easily, as
I'll probably move them to another garden.

I'm positive that they are cosmos, which can get weedy in cooler areas.

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Gerard

But I _really_ like your frog, where did you get it because I want one, I
really
don't need one, I want one....g

The big one I got a couple of years ago at the Reject Shop i think, it was
only $15.
The smaller one I picked up later on at Clint's Crazy Bargains for about $2.

Wonderful!

I have both shops locally and am off to look for them (mainly the big one)

I normally don't browse shops. Looks like I'll have to start......

Thanks
Gerard