Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
evan

Default growing pasionfruit from a cutting

gday,
i resently found a passionfruit with bright red flowers. i took a small
cutting and am hoping to grow it. its currently sitting in a glass of
water and tho it hasent died yet( its a week and a bit old) i dont think
that alone is going to inspire it to root. does anyone have any
suggestions what i should do to get it to the point where i can stick it
in a pot? do i need old wood for it to strike? the piece i have is one
of the green tips with some leaves (ive pulled off the flower buds).

cheers,
evan.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Andrew G

"evan" wrote in message
gday,
i resently found a passionfruit with bright red flowers. i took a small
cutting and am hoping to grow it. its currently sitting in a glass of
water and tho it hasent died yet( its a week and a bit old) i dont think
that alone is going to inspire it to root. does anyone have any
suggestions what i should do to get it to the point where i can stick it
in a pot? do i need old wood for it to strike? the piece i have is one
of the green tips with some leaves (ive pulled off the flower buds).

cheers,
evan.

If they can be grown from cuttings, which I assume they can be:

1) Go get yourself some seed raising mix. You can make your own propagation
mix using 4parts coarse sand, one part peat moss, but for just one cutting
it's easier and cheaper to buy seed raising mix. If you have soil that is
well drained, so on the sandy side, you could possibly use that.
2)You want a cutting around 20cm long. Even anywhere from 15cm to 25cm,
roughly. To take it, the bottom cut (that goes into the soil/mix) has to be
just below a node. So just below where a leaf comes out.
3) Make the top cut just above a node.
4) From the bottom, strip about 2/3rds of the leaves off, leaving 1/3 of the
leaves at the top.
5) You did the right thing removing the flowers.
6) Buy some hormone powder (or liquid), availble from Nurseries and Kmart.
Dip the bottom of the cutting in it.
7) Make a hole in the soil, using a pen or something, then place the bottom
dipped end into the soil, packing the soil back around it.
8) Keep the soil moist. You can also place a bag or cutoff soft drink bottle
over the top, to make a mini glasshouse. Just don't have it in full sun.
Under shade/filtered light is ok.

If you need to, try a search for cuttings, semi-hardwood cuttings, or
passionfruit cuttings on the net.

The only problems you may have is the cutting is old, and would have been
best to get in in soil the same day. Unfortunately you have little chance of
it surviving, but worth a try if you can't get another one.
Also, the other problem is if the cutting was taken off a grafted plant,
then the cutting may have problems with the roots down the track. The roots
may not develop enough to support the plant, or may be susceptible(sp?) to
root rot.

Hmmm, after all that, it might be best to buy a passionfruit cutting, unless
it's one you really want and can't get anywhere other than how you got it.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
John Savage

evan writes:
i resently found a passionfruit with bright red flowers. i took a small

If it was from a neglected garden it might be the root stock from what
was originally a grafted passionfruit. I think they usually choose the
banana passionfruit, so I suggest you do a search for that and find out
whether it bears red flowers.

in a pot? do i need old wood for it to strike? the piece i have is one
of the green tips with some leaves (ive pulled off the flower buds).

I don't like your chances. Pull off all but the tiny tip leaves, put it
in sandy loam (first dip in honey or rooting powder), water with a bit of
seaweed solution, and keep your fingers crossed. If you had left the flower
on the plant you could have gone back later and collected a mature fruit
bursting with lots of seeds ready for planting! That would still be your
best bet. A lot of gardeners seem to not bother picking many passionfruit
after the initial burst of fruiting.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")