Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Perksy

Default yellowing leave on my tomato

Hi,

I have grown this Tomato from seed and have recently transplanted into
my garden. Not long after I did this the leaves started to yellow -
or get lighter. I am sure it is deficient in something, but I am
unsure what would be the best way to treat it. I soil tested one of
the other beds and the PH was above 7.0 - so I have applied sulphur to
it - the bed with the tomato was untreated - could the alkalinity be a
reason for the yellowing?

Thanks

Denise
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
ruth

Perksy wrote:

Hi,

I have grown this Tomato from seed and have recently transplanted into
my garden. Not long after I did this the leaves started to yellow -
or get lighter. I am sure it is deficient in something, but I am
unsure what would be the best way to treat it. I soil tested one of
the other beds and the PH was above 7.0 - so I have applied sulphur to
it - the bed with the tomato was untreated - could the alkalinity be a
reason for the yellowing?

Thanks

Denise

(i am sure someone is more knowledgeable than me here, but straightaway
when you said you transplanted it i wondered whether the light source
was less direct in its new place. I tend to feed transplantings with
liquid fertilisers like watered on dynamic lifter or diluted Charlie
Cod. With my own tomato[e] growings i notice that when there is an area
with fruit around, the leaves underneath die off, and more than likely
another branch will appear that's been leaning on the beginnings of a
pumpkin vine or somat. This COULD be why people always say to nip off
the new buds between the branches!)

good luck

-
::::~~~~rOOth~~~~::::
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Leanne

I am certainly not in posession of any great gardening knowledge but I'll
throw in my two cents worth anyway. I know its not a tomato plant, but my
gardenia suddenly got a lot of yellow leaves...the lady at my local nursery
said it was an iron deficiency and that a good dose of epsom salts would
cure it. I sprinkled a good couple of handfulls around the base of the
plant and within three or four days all the yellowing had gone. I know we
are talking different plants here but perhaps its a similar condition?

om...

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Perksy

well I might just try the epsom salts - especially if I see my
Gardenia's leaves yellowing

Thanks

Denise

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
matfox

if your soil is iron deficent use blood meal works better then epson salts.
Also bone meal or lime as well.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
lxr

In article , matfox
wrote:

if your soil is iron deficent use blood meal works better then epson salts.
Also bone meal or lime as well.

If it is iron deficient, then lime will not help. Lime has a preference
for the iron and locks it away from the plant. In coastal WA, the
limesone in responsible for iron deficiencies.

You can use iron (ferrous) sulfate to overcome the deficiency, but it
is better to use Iron Chelates (chelated iron). The iron chelates holds
the iron for the plant to take. You can get it at garden centres.

Read the instructions. Make it up at half the recommended strength.
Apply it twice as often.

Have fun
Cheers
Alex