Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
John Stokes

Default Raising Seedlings

Hello everyone

I am in my second year growing hydro herbs, tomatoes, lettuces etc and
coming along fairly well for someone who doesn't have too much of a green
thumb.

My problem is that I am not doing too well at raising seedlings. I have been
using coconut fibre (as used in hydro systems), perlite/vermiculite and
watering with seedling strength solution of Seaweed Fertiliser. I have tried
locating the trays of seedlings inside my shed which gets a fair bit of
indirect sunlight, I have tried under 70% (black) shade cloth, I have tried
in a tray with clear plastic cover. Each time I end up with very spindly
lettuce/rocket seedlings.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

John

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
dave

I know with lettuce if it is too hot they wont germinate, or if they do
they wont be very good. So maybe it is too hot. Secondly, try moving the
seedlings as soon as they come up to somewhere with stronger light (not
direct light though).
Hope thats been a help
David

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Tom Elliott

Have you tried planting direct? I know that many people don't like
doing this, but I have a garden full of healthy plants that all came
from seeds planted straight into the ground.

If you try this, remember :

* Keep them moist (mulch, drip systems, etc)
* Keep them safe (birds will want to dig in the moist soil)
* Plant multiples (I usually put 3 seeds in each spot, and remove the
weakest ones)

Tom.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:15:01 +0800, "John Stokes"
wrote:

Hello everyone

I am in my second year growing hydro herbs, tomatoes, lettuces etc and
coming along fairly well for someone who doesn't have too much of a green
thumb.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Andrew G

"John Stokes" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I tried hydrponics for a while, and had a good success rate. I used to
always use rockwool/grow wool cubes to get my seedlings up.
I used a small seed raising box i bought from mitre 10, yates brand, that
had air vents on the side that could be closed or opened. The only time I
got "tall spindly" seedlings, is when i put the box in the shade under a
tree to get "some sun/filtered sun"
All it was is the seedling growing taller to try and get sun.
I soon learnt after to just use the clear cover to get the seeds germinated,
then take it off to let them get full unblocked sun, in summer, just never
let them dry out. Use the cover in winter to keep em warm.
So the problem you may have is the seedlings may not be getting enough
light.
Or, if you have a an old fish tank, use that to raise seedlings, add to it a
cool white fluroescent light. only a small one. That works well too.

Good luck with it

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Heather Edwards

Dear John, Usually with spindly plants outside they are not getting enough
light so this may be your problem. They grow spindly because they are
pushing upward for light they spend all their efforts doing this so they
look spindly. Just an idea. Heather.