Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

Default attracting bees to your garden

On a recent radio gardening program, a listener rang in to say he
discovered that bees love cornmeal. He spreads cornmeal around his
garden and the bees flock to it. I got the impression that he uses
it uncooked and unsweetened--just the polentia flour straight out
of the packet, and sprinkled around the garden near to or on the
plants whose flowers he wants pollinated.

Try it when your garden needs bees, and let us know the results.
--
John Savage, trying his best to report with no trace of scepticism

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Linda

In this weather, I would have thought some damp cotton rags in a dish
of water, or wettex floating in the water would be better. Remember
bees need water as much as birds, and need somewhere where they can
"soak" it up

Linda

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Setzler

HUH???

Susan not succeeding in reading without skepticism!

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Alice Gamewell

I don't know about cornmeal, but I planted 72 Zinnias in my front yard
last spring. I have never seen so many visits from bees in years. They
love the flower. So do butterflies.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Tom Elliott

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:31:45 GMT, Alice Gamewell
wrote:

I don't know about cornmeal, but I planted 72 Zinnias in my front yard
last spring. I have never seen so many visits from bees in years. They
love the flower. So do butterflies.

Lavendar is also a good drawcard for bees.

I did a bit of researching regarding bees and their attracton to
cornmeal, and found that it's true. Apparently it can be a nuisance
for people with bird feeders, as cornmeal in some bird feed can
attract a lot of bees.

I'm going to sprinkle some polenta about the garden and see what
happens. Can't hurt to try!

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Linda

The other thing is that bee gardens were traditionally blue, as that
is the only colour that bees (and other insects) can distinguish from
a sort of grey.

And they are going crazy in my lavendar at the moment, even though it
has gone almost grey.

Linda

Lavendar is also a good drawcard for bees.