Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Ruth

Default Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds)

I'm aware that a lot of people frown up the idea of putting in more
agapanthus but I have just the spot for a few of these!

I've collected the pods\seeds of the ones which have finished
flowering and would ask "do I just throw them on the ground" or do
something else with them, to have a few grow?!

Many thanks.

Ruth.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Luke

Hi Ruth,

I bought some strawberry agapanthus seeds from the net and just planted them
in a yates greenhouse seed tray, a couple of months later I had baby
agapathus's growing. I grew them in a seed raising mix as well. I kept them
moist and in a shady position and they seemed to love it.

Cheers
Luke

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Ruth

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:53:39 +1030, "Luke"
wrote:

I bought some strawberry agapanthus seeds from the net and just planted them
in a yates greenhouse seed tray, a couple of months later I had baby
agapathus's growing. I grew them in a seed raising mix as well. I kept them
moist and in a shady position and they seemed to love it.

Many thanks Luke, I will have a go and put them in some seed mix first
and see how I fare - not the end of the world if I don't succeed, just
a new learning curve!

Ruth.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Luke

Hi Alwynne,

The flower is white with a strawberry tinge, it is a beautiful flower. I
have seen them for sale at Bunnings.

"alwynne mackie" wrote in message
Luke, do you mean that the flowers are a strawberry colour? Someone once
told me they had seen a red agapanthus, but I thought they had just
mistakened it for an agapanthus. Perhaps they were right!
Cheers,
Alwynne

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
alwynne mackie

I think I might have it. The one I have is called A. alba rosea, and starts
out white, but goes pink as the flower matures. Have you ever heard of a red
one?
Cheers,
Alwynne

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
FASTEDDY

I cut the stalk with the seeds and walked around the garden were i wanted
the agapanthus to grow shook the seeds out adn before I knew it it was
growing, no dgging in or watering. This plant is truly like a weed but fill
holes nicely

Eddy

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Rita Bogna

Ruth,

They grow very easily from seed, but very slowly, and you'll have to
wait a long time from flowers. No special treatment is needed. It's
best to sow seed within 2 weeks of collecting it. You can throw it on
the ground and cover it lightly. Keep it moist but don't expect quick
germination. They can take 3-4 months to appear. I sowed mine this
time last year and nothing happened till early winter.

Hope this helps.

Rita.

Old 22-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered User

I have once seen a beautiful deep crimson one but I didn't buy it on the day... Am doing doing my damndest to find it! I saw it a nursery here in the UK at Eggesford in Devon (may be Pine Cottage Plants). They are only open by appointment though and I am struggling to find the time to go see!

Happy Hunting...
Old 23-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkandthemac View Post
I have once seen a beautiful deep crimson one but I didn't buy it on the day... Am doing doing my damndest to find it! I saw it a nursery here in the UK at Eggesford in Devon (may be Pine Cottage Plants). They are only open by appointment though and I am struggling to find the time to go see!

Happy Hunting...
Strange that there is no mention of anything but blue or white ones in the monograph by Wim Snoeijer.
Old 23-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
Strange that there is no mention of anything but blue or white ones in the monograph by Wim Snoeijer.
This is a piece I wrote for sowing most bulb seeds. It works for me.
Sow the seed fresh. It germinates better straight from the plant rather than being dried off.
Cover lightly with grit, gravel or whatever rather than compost.
Sow in a deep pot rather than a seed tray (reasons later).
Leave exposed to weather. They need a period of cold followed by warmth to initiate germination.
When (if?) they germinate do not be in a hurry to p rick them out. This is the reason for deep pot rather than seed tray. They have only one root to begin with and if it is damage, it dies and a new one has to be produced from the base of the seedling. usually they die.
Feed the seed pot with dilute Baby Bio type stuff, until the leaves go yellow then allow the pot to dry off.
Repotting may be done when they are dormant. Some types never really go dormant so be careful.
I often do not repot until they have had another seasons growth.
Cannot think of anything else for the moment.
Not as hard as it seems.

Old 23-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered User

And strange that I can see no mention of it online either.... I'm prepared to admit my eyes may have deceived and memory dramatised as it was 10 years ago now, maybe a trick of the light, maybe what I actually saw was one of the purple/black budded hybrids with light shining through them. Maybe I'll have to ask my ex as she was there too!
Old 22-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered User

I bought some strawberries Agapanthus seed net, but they grow from
Yates greenhouse seed tray in a couple of months later, I have a baby
agapathus growth. When I was growing their seeds, and improving portfolio.
Pond Liners