Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Robin Henderson

Default How do I remove new shoots from a removed tree?

Hi,

About 3 months ago we had a big tree (think it's called Amelia, spelling?)
removed from our garden because it was too close to the house. The tree was
over 2 stories tall, or about same height as the overhead power lines in
suburban streets (I'm in Victoria).

Now, I'm getting new shoots coming out of the lawn! About 8 of them, knee/hip
high and growing very leafy and quickly.

What can I do to get rid of the new shoots and prevent them from growing back
again? ... I removed 1 big tree, now I have 8 small ones #@! ...

Thanks in advance, cheers

Robin

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Terry Collins

Robin Henderson wrote:

What can I do to get rid of the new shoots and prevent them from growing back
again? ... I removed 1 big tree, now I have 8 small ones #@! ...

In the afternoon of a warm day, cut the shoots and paint with round
up/zero.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Robin Henderson

Hi Terry,

thanks for a speedy reply

In the afternoon of a warm day, cut the shoots and paint with round
up/zero.

Can I can what 'round up/zero' is? And by paint, do you mean on the cuts after
I chop off the shoots?

Thanks again, cheers

Robin

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
utphonejack

Roundup is a liquid weedkiller/herbicide. It is available as a weed killer
for gardens from supermarkets and hardware stores - just look for a
weedkiller containing "glyphosate".
You cut the problem shoots in your lawn, and spray or dab some roundup
solution on the wound - and be careful not to get any of the solution on
other plants or lawn. Keep doing this for any new tree shoots and the
problem should be solved in a few weeks.....

"Robin Henderson" wrote in message
Hi Terry,

thanks for a speedy reply

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Robin Henderson

Great, thanks a lot for the reply. Cheers

Robin

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Andrew G

"Robin Henderson" wrote in message
Hi,

About 3 months ago we had a big tree (think it's called Amelia, spelling?)
removed from our garden because it was too close to the house. The tree

was
over 2 stories tall, or about same height as the overhead power lines in
suburban streets (I'm in Victoria).

Now, I'm getting new shoots coming out of the lawn! About 8 of them,

knee/hip
high and growing very leafy and quickly.

What can I do to get rid of the new shoots and prevent them from growing

back
again? ... I removed 1 big tree, now I have 8 small ones #@! ...

Thanks in advance, cheers

Robin

Don't cut the shoots off, leave them.
Use straight undliuted glyphosate (Roundup) and paint the whole shoots with
them.
Or you could use blackberry and tree killer. That should definitely get it.

good luck

Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Terry Collins

Robin Henderson wrote:

Hi Terry,

thanks for a speedy reply

In the afternoon of a warm day, cut the shoots and paint with round
up/zero.

Can I can what 'round up/zero' is? And by paint, do you mean on the cuts after
I chop off the shoots?

Round UP is a glycophospate product from Monsanto.
I think Zero is the domestic version and Round Up the agricultural
version

Yes, buy paint, I mean with a cheap (kids) paint brush into the stem.
If it is small, paint the lot. If large, just pain around the outside
where the cambrian layer is.

If the saps running and you do it fast enough afterwards, the stem seems
to actually suck it in, If so, just repeat.

PS don't return Zero/Round Up to the main container.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Andrew G

"Robin Henderson" wrote in message
Hi Terry,

thanks for a speedy reply

In the afternoon of a warm day, cut the shoots and paint with round
up/zero.

Can I can what 'round up/zero' is? And by paint, do you mean on the cuts

after
I chop off the shoots?

Thanks again, cheers

Robin

I think zero is the diluted version. If it is "ready to use" then that isn't
the stuff you want for this. You need it undiluted.

You will also find another product just called glyphosate. That is the
active ingredient, it's cheaper, and works exactly the same.
I know the rates of the active ingredient in Roundup were 360g per litre,
and I have seen a product called glyphosate 360 herbicide. It had the same
active ingredient rates, but was cheaper.
You can paint it after you cut them off, but it works a lot better if you
leave it intact, especially something this small. The more activley it is
growing, the better it will take it in.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Removed tree near house lolsmith United Kingdom 0 23-04-2012 12:11 AM
Lime Tree: Shoots around base of tree. Dinarius Gardening 4 08-02-2006 09:35 AM
need trees removed J.G alt.forestry 0 23-07-2003 12:02 PM
Anyone have a Ginkgo 'Autumn Gold' they want removed in California? NEEDS TO BE MALE. Kira Dirlik North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 06:45 PM
email address removed Keith D United Kingdom 1 10-04-2003 11:20 PM