GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   transplanting olive tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13332-transplanting-olive-tree.html)

Teddy 05-04-2003 06:35 AM

transplanting olive tree

We are growing an olive tree (2 years old) in a pot (in Sydney) but we need
to move it to a larger pot.
Does anyone know when the best time to transplant would be? We would like to
do it as soon as we can as it is part of a garden makeover but I suspect the
hot Sydney summer may not be the best time.
Thanks for any advice
Ted

Andrew G 05-04-2003 06:35 AM

transplanting olive tree

"Teddy" wrote in message
We are growing an olive tree (2 years old) in a pot (in Sydney) but we

need
to move it to a larger pot.
Does anyone know when the best time to transplant would be? We would like

do it as soon as we can as it is part of a garden makeover but I suspect

the
hot Sydney summer may not be the best time.
Thanks for any advice
Ted

Give it a good watering before transplanting (say a day or 2 before).

If the tree is in good condition, there is no reason why it cannot be
transplanted now. As long as you give it a good water after potting up. Just
don't over water.
IF you want to wait, leave it until around August, end of Winter, and do it
then.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

How-Hie Ling 05-04-2003 06:36 AM

transplanting olive tree

Hi,

I dug up two 2-year trees in September last year and put them into pots.
Both are doing well under a guava tree. I did prune some branches as soon as
I put them in pots. The trees were about 10 feet tall and flowering at that
time.

How-Hie Ling