Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Robin Henderson

Default Peach trees in Victoria

Hi again,

I was wondering, are peach trees good with Victorian conditions? A friend was
telling me it's not suitable in Victoria because of the weather. Is that true?

Also, I'm thinking of planting one in place of the Amelia tree we removed
couple months ago, would the soil handle it?

Any comment would be much appreciated. cheers

Robin

Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Elguapo

My parents have a white peach tree and live in Werribee Victoria. The tree
is about 6 years old. I am amazed at the size, quantity and eating quality
of the fruit their tree bears. I know this year my old man had to put
supports under the branches due to the weight of the fruit. All he
basically does is prune it each year and give it some sort of fertiliser a
couple of times a year. Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
whiteMemphis

"Robin Henderson" wrote in message
Hi again,

I was wondering, are peach trees good with Victorian conditions? A friend

was
telling me it's not suitable in Victoria because of the weather. Is that

true?

hi Robin, depends where in Victoria, it's a big place with much
variation in climatic conditions, if you're talking Melb. metro the climate
for peaches is about perferct. They need good winter chill temperatures for
formation of flower buds, and not to be allowed to dry out in summer, and
you have to have the patience to spray for leaf-curl.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Gerard

"Robin Henderson" wrote in message
Hi again,

I was wondering, are peach trees good with Victorian conditions? A friend was
telling me it's not suitable in Victoria because of the weather. Is that true?

I have a nectarine tree (Werribee) and the fruit is plentiful, large (5 to 7
cm), and _very_ tasty.

Gonna plant a peach when my extension is complete.

Just prune correctly in winter, & feed and water.

I have used a net this year to keep the birds off the fruit and it has worked a
treat. Now I can let the fruit fully ripen on the tree without the birds
destroying the fruit.