GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ponytail palm in flower - is this usual (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/13342-re-ponytail-palm-flower-usual.html)

Richard Sherratt 05-04-2003 06:36 AM

Ponytail palm in flower - is this usual

Thanks, Len.

What happens next? Does the flower thing just drop off or does it need
to be cut off when it looks dead? Can this be an annual event or is it
one of those every x years things?

Regards,
Richard.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:21:22 +1000, len brauer
wrote:

g'day richard,

yes the 'beaucarnea recurvata' not realy a palm does flower, it must
be happy where it is hey, i've never seen them flowering in pots but i
have seen them flowering when planted in gardens.

len

snipped

Sue 05-04-2003 06:36 AM

Ponytail palm in flower - is this usual

I had a "happy plant", a form of dracena I think but could be wrong.
Originally I bought it as a stump growing in a solution and as it grew I
potted it. When it was around 10 years old we moved from Perth to Karratha
(considerably hotter) and had it under a shaded area outside. During the
first and subsequent summers it flowered, a mass of white highly perfumed
flowers. It was absolutely beautiful. When they finished I let them die
back a little and then chopped the storks off. After four years we moved
back to Perth and took it with us, unfortunately it didn't like the air down
there and proceeded to drop dead. On the positive side I had taken a couple
of cuttings over the years and they are still growing. We recently moved
back to the Pilbara, along with the much travelled Happy Plant and I cannot
wait to see if the cuttings start to flower.

Sue Karratha.