Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Sue

Default Frangapani

Hi
I need some advice on growing frangipanis from cuttings. I had some
success previously with cuttings I found at the tip - I placed them into the
ground and they all grew!! Maybe lucky?? Anyway, I wanted to grow some
more here in Karratha WA and found a lovely red flowering tree to take some
cuttings from.

Q1 Is it best to wait until the leaves drop before taking them?

Q2 How long should I leave them to "dry out???" before planting?

Q3 Should I use one of those cutting powders this time? (I didn't before)
and if so do I do that as soon as I take the cutting or when I am about to
do the planting?

Enough questions for now.

Thanks all and happy gardening!!

Sue

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
len brauer

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:39:54 +0800, "Sue" wrote:

Hi
snipped

Q1 snipped

i've found it doesn't seem to matter

Q2 snipped

i let mine dry for 2 to 3 weeks put them where they get the morning
sun and stand tem up i used to lean mine agains the lattice.

Q3 snipped

won't hurt but again i have had good success without it.

Enough questions for now.

Thanks all and happy gardening!!

pleasure same to you

Sue

len
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
John Savage

"Sue" writes:
I need some advice on growing frangipanis from cuttings. I had some
success previously with cuttings I found at the tip - I placed them into the
ground and they all grew!! Maybe lucky?? Anyway, I wanted to grow some
more here in Karratha WA and found a lovely red flowering tree to take some
cuttings from.

Q1 Is it best to wait until the leaves drop before taking them?

I agree with all of Len's answers. :-)

Get the sticks whenever you have the opportunity, just snip the leaves
off if there are some.

Q2 How long should I leave them to "dry out???" before planting?

A week or two, left lying on a rock in dappled shade.

Q3 Should I use one of those cutting powders this time? (I didn't before)
and if so do I do that as soon as I take the cutting or when I am about to
do the planting?

Doesn't seem necessary.

I wanted to add that in my limited experience, the fragrance of the
red and pink frangipanis is disappointing. The scent of the pink I have
is actually unpleasant, fortunately it is not strong. So I'd say if you
want the plant for its strong delightful fragrance, you can't go past
the common white-with-a-gold-centre frangipani.

I planted about a dozen in sandy soil under a window shade. It turned
out to be the ideal situation: they get a few hours of direct sun each
day, but the window shade blocks most of the natural rainfall. So (in
the years when it rains for weeks on end) the cuttings cannot suffer
from wet feet; they only get water when I hose that area. I'd say I lost
only 2 of the 12 cuttings. They thrive on neglect.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Sue

Thanks for the info Len and the additional experiences John. It is
interesting that you say the fragrance of the red and pink frangipanis is
disappointing because it was actually a red flowering tree I had intended to
"borrow" a cutting from. I will have to walk that way in the morning and
take a sniff, ha ha. As for rain, we here don't have a problem (or maybe we
do dependant on how you look at it) because it hardly ever rains here. In
fact we have only had 50 ml in the past two years. Having said that the
frangipanis that are up here are really beautiful and do seem to grow very
readily with minimum care and a bit of watering!!

Happy gardening all,
Sue - Karratha West Aust.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Perksy

"Sue" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the info Len and the additional experiences John. It is
interesting that you say the fragrance of the red and pink frangipanis is
disappointing because it was actually a red flowering tree I had intended to
"borrow" a cutting from. I will have to walk that way in the morning and
take a sniff, ha ha. As for rain, we here don't have a problem (or maybe we
do dependant on how you look at it) because it hardly ever rains here. In
fact we have only had 50 ml in the past two years. Having said that the
frangipanis that are up here are really beautiful and do seem to grow very
readily with minimum care and a bit of watering!!

Happy gardening all,
Sue - Karratha West Aust.

My Experience is the same for fragrance. I have a deep red Frangipani
that does not have a strong scent at all. If you are after fragrance
then the traditional white with yellow centre is the best.

I was wondering if anyine had had the same experiance I had with non
flowering trees. I have three traditional white, one red, and one
pink / yellow all planted in the last few years. The red one (which
is the oldest) failed to flower this season, it flowered last. One of
the whites did the same - I was wondering if this had happened to
people before and if they had any reasons for it.....
I am in Ipswich, QLD

Denise

Frangapani wheres_slick2 Gardening 3 29-12-2006 10:22 PM
Frangapani Sue Australia 4 24-02-2003 12:35 AM