Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Just a little bit

Default Mossies in water feature

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:38:59 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

"stolie" stolie666 @hotmail.com writes:
white clouds got rid of all mine in a day......

So what are the fish going to live on after that??

You could always feed them fish food.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
China

G'day Teddy,

If, as you say, the pond is only 1 meter across, then fish may have
problems.
For a start if the pond is exposed to the sun, it may heat up to leathal
levels quite quickly.
Also, if it is quite shallow, once the fish have eaten the wrigglers, which
they will, then the birds will eat the fish.
Netting over the pond will only spoil the look.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
KH

we've got fish in our pond, it fixed the mozzie problem and the birds aren't
quick enough to get 'em.. not to mention that we have a cat too..
"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:34:07 GMT, "Teddy"
wrote:

Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond.

Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

A good half inch layer of crank case oil will fix that right up.

But seriously, there are some native fish about (I will see if I can
find the breed) which are practically invisible, and do a wonderful
job of keeping the larvae at bay. They are hard to see, so you don't
need to worry about cats getting at them.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Woofie

"Teddy" wrote in message ...
Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

Pour a few drops of kerosene on top of the water. Mozzie larvae breath
air through a snorkel on their bums. A thin film of kerosene on the
surface suffocates them. The thin film of kero will evaporate after
few hours of sunlight. make sure its only a few drops of kero. You
dn't need any more than that on your little pond.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Dr Pond

Teddy Wrote:
Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond.
Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground
for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill
the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

Do you have a pump installed and if so is it running 24 hours a day.
Most good commercially available pumps should be left on 24 hours which
will help the water clarity and oxygenation process for fish and plants.
Mozzies do not like moving water therefore if you don't already have a
pump installing one would be a good idea.

Native fish are also a good idea but will still require a pump. Use
fish native to your area only and try to stay away from exotic fish
like goldfish in such a small pond. Goldfish eat frog spawn and
mozzies. Whereas native fish will eat mozzies alone. A good Australian
Native is Pacific Blue Eye and in a pond your size do not add any more
than 4-5 fish as you will then start to encounter water pollution
generated by fish waste. Ensure to feed your fish with a QUALITY fish
food that is low in ash.

For more information I suggest you visit my website which is PACKED
with information on Ponds, Wtaer Features, Water Quailty, Fish etc etc

www.waterfeaturesonline.com.au

Dr Pond
It's Simple - Just Add Water!

--
Dr Pond

Old 18-12-2004, 09:14 PM
George W. Frost

"Dr Pond" wrote in message
news

Teddy Wrote:
[...]

If there are no fish, then a lablespoon of pure eucalyptus oil will work

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM
water feature manil United Kingdom 5 26-01-2003 11:37 AM