Old 01-03-2006, 03:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Roger Dewhurst

Default Triffids

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2006, 04:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Spiny Norman

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:45:08 +1300, "Roger Dewhurst"
wrote in aus.gardens:

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Put a strong fence around them and watch out for the sting.

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 01-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Wolf Kirchmeir

Roger Dewhurst wrote:
I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Did you see a meteor shower in your area recently?
:-)

Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
SG1

"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message
I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Jonno

madgardener wrote:

"SG1" wrote in message

"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x
2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am
damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

MY triffids were disguised as Cleome
Spinosa................................

madgardener

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Old 02-03-2006, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob

SG1 wrote:
"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x 2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

"And I really got hot, when I saw Jeanette Scott
Fight a triffid that spits poison and kills..."

Best regards,
Bob
Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Mitchell

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
"Roger Dewhurst" wrote in message

I bought some dry beans at an asian shop in Tauranga. I planted one and
now
the thing is growing like a triffid. The seeds are about 6mm x 4mm x
2mm.
They are pale yellow brown and have a long white hilum bordered with dark
brown. The pods are set on stem which holds about 12 pods. The pods are
short and contain 4 or 5 seeds. I bought them as lima beans but I am
damn
sure that they are not! Any ideas?

Listen for the drumming and watch for movement, Have a flame thrower
handy!!!!!!!!!

"And I really got hot, when I saw Jeanette Scott
Fight a triffid that spits poison and kills..."

Best regards,
Bob

Remember they disolve in sea water!

Mitch...

Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob

Mitchell wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

SG1 wrote:

[...]

Not in the book, they didn't.

Bob

Stachys, or possible triffids Ian B[_3_] United Kingdom 8 20-05-2011 08:28 PM
Triffids zxcvbob Gardening 6 28-07-2008 05:12 PM
Triffids Roger Dewhurst Gardening 6 03-03-2006 11:40 PM
Triffids Roger Dewhurst Edible Gardening 6 03-03-2006 11:40 PM
triffids.... ushere Australia 2 03-03-2006 11:37 PM