Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
slugbug

Default Good plants for a trellis?

Guten Tag! I am finishing up a wooden lattice that I built to enclose
our front porch. I used 1" by 2" wood pieces, which are spaced about
9" apart. The lattice starts about 3' above ground level (the height
of our front porch) and continues to about 10' up. (about 7' total of
lattice) Last year I had one section finished in time to tie up a
tomato. Previously, I have only really grown things on the ground.

I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for vegetables
that do a good job of climbing and hanging on to trellises. I have 3
separate sections of trellis:

1) South side - around 8' wide - gets a decent amount of morning and
afternoon light, with some filtered light from about 2-5 pm in Summer,
from a maple tree on the other side of the alley

2) West side (front) - ~ 17' wide - faces the street, with no shade
from trees, but only gets indirect light through Noon. Gets direct
light from about Noon through 9pm.

3) North side - ~ 8' wide - gets indirect light through the day, but is
shaded from direct sunlight by the 2 story house and front porch,
except for a bit of direct sunlight from perhaps 5 to 7 pm.

I live in zone 5b or 6a, and we get just over 3 feet of rain per year,
on average. (38 inches)

Our back yard is very limited in size, and is the only place for our
kids to play, so I am very limited in where I can grow vegetables. I
built the trellis so that I could make use of some vertical space.

I am especially interested in:

tomato varieties

cucumber varieties

vining beans

some small fruited squash

exotic vining fruits?

I am really limited to things that will grow in a year, because we will
probably only be in this house this year and next year. As such,
grapes are probably out. However, I would be interested in any sort of
vining fruit that would do well on a trellis. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2006, 04:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

G'day!! IMO, for short term coverage, a good crop, and general prettying up,
whack some scarlet runner beans on it. Nice red flowers, and they grow
quickly. A cherry tomato of some kind; look for 'staked' over 'bush'
varieties; ask your nursery. Whack a nice passionfruit where it has sun and
space, and if you're feeling fancy, you can buy a peach or plum to
trellis-train against the wall. This is easy; have some fencing wire strung
between star pickets on 2 or 3 levels, (up against your wall of course) and
plant the tree close to the wall too. As the tree grows, train the side
branches along those wires, using old stockings cut up, and trim off
protruding branches that don't lie flat. The idea is to restrict it's height
and growth to those 2 or 3 wires. If you plant it against a warm, sunny
wall, conditions will be perfect and you get your own fruit! These trees
bear a surprising amount, grown this way, and are very easy to harvest and
keep an eye on pests. Have fun!!
oups.com...

Old 03-03-2006, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

meee wrote:

[...]
"slugbug" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Try growing grapes...

Old 03-03-2006, 10:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"slugbug" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

i LOVE meee's idea about espaliered fruit trees!!! but you might not have
the time for them to grow before you go, by the sounds of it.

failing that, you can do tomatoes, beans, etc as you've expressed, but it's
too late in the season for tomatoes. since it's all a bit short-term,
perhaps beans & peas? & then you can have beans & tomatoes next summer &
peas again in the autumn? however, with the problems with enough light all
day in the various locations, this may not work. most veg need at least 6
hours of direct sun per day. but if it can be made work, it would be lovely,
and you can espalier tomatoes just as easily (well, more easily, really) as
anything else.
kylie

Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

slugbug wrote:

I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for vegetables
that do a good job of climbing and hanging on to trellises. I have 3
separate sections of trellis:

I am especially interested in:

tomato varieties

cucumber varieties

Just try some.
You can grwo Qld blue and butternuts verticall, just have a mesh bag to
support the fruit.

vining beans

Any climbing bean should suffice. We have good success this year with
snake beans to 15' high. You could also add another lessor climber, like
purple climbing beans to the bottom.

some small fruited squash

Eden seed sell small gourds, which are really small squash. We tried
their mixed small and have a few little gourds growing well so far (late
planting)

exotic vining fruits?

Choko?
Passionfruit?

Old 14-03-2006, 01:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

"slugbug" writes:
I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for vegetables
that do a good job of climbing and hanging on to trellises. I have 3
separate sections of trellis:

Are you in Australia? (aus=Australia)

But no matter, my suggestion is first a choko (it does okay in partial
shade, and the fruit can be picked and cooked at any stage, you don't
have to wait for it to reach a mature size); and second a Chinese
gooseberry (aka a Kiwi Fruit). The gooseberry is a vigorous twining vine,
like a wisteria. It's deciduous, but probably needs at least half a day
of full sun during the growing season. I think you need both a male and a
female if you hope to get fruit. It probably takes at least a year to get
moving after you plant it, even as an advanced vine.

The only drawback with the choko is that its abundance of blooms brings
an abundance of bees, and you might not wish this if there are kids
playing alongside the vine.

Good trellis plants Paul M. Cook Gardening 28 21-08-2010 03:27 AM
Plants for Trellis Beags Gardening 5 26-04-2010 08:39 AM
Plants for Trellis - Please help us - thank you. Beags Garden Photos 0 21-04-2010 09:28 PM
What plants can I grow on a trellis? [email protected] United Kingdom 9 29-01-2008 01:53 PM
Trellis killing plants... RzB United Kingdom 19 03-01-2006 08:41 PM