Old 14-03-2006, 12:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default aggggh pollination problems!

meee wrote:

"John Savage" wrote in message
news:060314000090459.14Mar06$rookswood@suburbian. com...

"meee" writes:

Hi everyone, advice needed! I have planted some vegies in my greenhouse
this
year, as it's the only way I can keep kids and dogs from destroying
everything. Unfortunately, I forgot about pollination! Nothing much can
get
in there, and being in the city, there aren't many insects around anyway,
excepting ants. So far I have tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pawpaw and
runner
beans planted. I have a vague idea on pollinating pumpkins, but nothing on
the rest. The runners have already started flowering, the zucchinis are

Good news about the zucchini--they don't need pollination if you pick the
fruit within a day after the flower fully opens. As for the other crops,
it sounds like you need to get your own hive of bees. There was a story
on [probably] ABC tv some months back, about [IIRC] a teenager who sells
hives of native bees. These are stingless, and a bit smaller than a house
fly. He came up with something quite innovative about housing the bees so
that it's possible to steal a bit of their honey without, as is usually
done, totally destroying the structure of their painstakingly-constructed
honeycomb. I think the hives are tiny, about the size of a kid's beach
bucket, so can probably be mailed through the post.

I do recall the cameraman managing to get the fellow's web address in one
scene, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe I've jogged someone else's
memory? Try google or search the ABC site. Possibly I saw it on
"Landline".

If you do buy a beehive, make sure you don't confine the bees to your
greenhouse, otherwise when you can't provide local pollen and nectar the
bees will starve. They need to be able to scour the neighbourhood to
collect water, too, at those times when you forget to replenish a source.
Maybe there will be enough other balcony gardens on your block where the
bees can collect nectar and pollen during the leaner winter months?

The bees are definitely interesting!! My main concern is whether there will
be enough flowers around to feed them. Winters are dry here, and everything
dies down, as most people only have foliage plants and don't water much in
winter time. I have noticed we have some native bees nesting on my front
porch; they are inside the concrete, or else I would have had a go at moving
them.

Would suggest a source of water too. Bees need water and if they find it, allow them to settle

amd drink.from a shallow bowl.

Old 15-03-2006, 05:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
Spiny Norman

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:21:01 GMT, "meee"
wrote in aus.gardens:

Hi everyone, advice needed! I have planted some vegies in my greenhouse this
year, as it's the only way I can keep kids and dogs from destroying
everything. Unfortunately, I forgot about pollination! Nothing much can get
in there, and being in the city, there aren't many insects around anyway,
excepting ants. So far I have tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pawpaw and runner
beans planted. I have a vague idea on pollinating pumpkins, but nothing on
the rest. The runners have already started flowering, the zucchinis are
popping up buds, but the rest is still growing. Any help would be very much
appreciated! I can't leave the door open; I already tried, and the dogs just
dug everything up....don't get me started on what the kids did! So
everything will have to stay shut.

Have you tried flitting from flower to flower with a soft camel hair
paint brush (photo brush?)

Used to work for my old man

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 15-03-2006, 12:19 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

[...]

Was your old man important?
Old 16-03-2006, 12:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Aaah now I have one of those!!! Thanks!!

Old 16-03-2006, 01:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

impotant?
are you a flower child.?

Old 16-03-2006, 06:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Cuttings...

meee wrote:

.. .

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

PS Lavender is very easy to propagate from cuttings.
Keep it moist and it will grow. Now is a good time, going into winter to
propagate this
Old 17-03-2006, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jonno" wrote in message
meee wrote:

. ..

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Would Lavender do ok in the tropics?

Old 17-03-2006, 03:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

meee wrote:

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Should do fine, depending on it not getting wet feet. IE need good
drainage, but otherwise theyre reasonable tough.
Theres also different species. As I'm in Melbourne, the weather can
vary, but no problems, and weve had temperatures up to 43 C. at times.
I grow a few varieties. Look around locally and ask for cuttings. Real
gardeners shouldnt mind. .

Old 17-03-2006, 03:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jonno" wrote in message ...
meee wrote:

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Great!! I am thinking of starting a raised bed for my mediterranean style plants and herbs so that should be where i'll put it.

Old 17-03-2006, 04:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

meee wrote:

"Jonno"
wrote in message
meee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
.. .

meee wrote:

m...

[...]

They dont like being transplanted unless you can guarantee all their
roots are moved.
Old 17-03-2006, 05:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meee wrote:

"Jonno"
wrote in message
meee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
. ..

meee wrote:

om...

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Ok. So whack the cuttings straight into the bed they will grow in, then.

Old 17-03-2006, 08:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

meee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
. au...

meee wrote:

"Jonno"
wrote in message
meee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
.. .

news:3c6f1258vd0fdr0m5n872mv051hqq03m0c@4ax. com...

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Only do it in a shady place where they can develop roots. And they have
to be kept moist,.otherwise no go.
Put them in a small pot first. Water them everyday. I've had great
success near the hot water service overflow, but it will depend on
your water service. Anyway, a daily water will ensure theyre OK (more
often as needed...in hot days)
Also rosemary propagates easy this way. PS put about a dozen or more
togeter in a large pot so you get a better chance ofgetting some to take.

Old 17-03-2006, 09:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

meee wrote:*Taking Cuttings
From the ABC

*Prepare a cutting survival kit (collapsible cooler bag, plastic bag,
secateurs, spray bottle). Select good quality propagation material.
Cutting material should be pliable, but not too soft. Some leaves should
be left attached, but no buds or flowers should remain. Store cutting
material in the refrigerator until you find time to propagate it. Always
make the base cut of your cutting below a node or leaf joint.

Hygiene is important! Wash all pots and tools in hot, soapy water before
use. Use hormone powder for a greater strike rate, quicker root
formation and more roots formed on individual cuttings. Spray cuttings
with anti-transpirant spray and water with seaweed. Bottom heat will
increase your success rate with cuttings that are difficult or slow to
form roots.

Use commercial propagating mix or prepare your own by combining equal
parts of either coarse washed river sand or perlite with coir peat.

Go Forth and Multiply!

Old 18-03-2006, 02:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"meee" wrote:

PS Lavender is very easy to propagate from cuttings.
Keep it moist and it will grow. Now is a good time, going into winter to
propagate this

Would Lavender do ok in the tropics?

No -- it doesn't like humidity. English lavender is marginal in Sydney.
There may be some ornamental lavenders that might grow, but they don't smell
like the English and French types. See what's in your local nurseries (proper
nurseries, not K-Mart or Bunnings. My Bunnings has *raspberry canes* for sale
atm. In Sydney!)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"... if *I* was buying a baby I'd jolly well make sure it was at
least a two-tooth!"
Mary Grant Bruce, The Houses of the Eagle.