Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

Default aggggh pollination problems!

Hi everyone, advice needed! I have planted some vegies in my greenhouse this
year, as it's the only way I can keep kids and dogs from destroying
everything. Unfortunately, I forgot about pollination! Nothing much can get
in there, and being in the city, there aren't many insects around anyway,
excepting ants. So far I have tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pawpaw and runner
beans planted. I have a vague idea on pollinating pumpkins, but nothing on
the rest. The runners have already started flowering, the zucchinis are
popping up buds, but the rest is still growing. Any help would be very much
appreciated! I can't leave the door open; I already tried, and the dogs just
dug everything up....don't get me started on what the kids did! So
everything will have to stay shut.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Dwayne

Catch a few butterflies, bees, etc and turn them loose inside the
greenhouse. Ants and other bugs that crawl around on your blossoms might
also help.

Dwayne

Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Catch a few butterflies, bees, etc and turn them loose inside the
greenhouse. Ants and other bugs that crawl around on your blossoms might
also help.

Dwayne

ok. i'm goin bug huniting! crikey!

Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

"meee" wrote in message

Hi everyone, advice needed! I have planted some vegies in my greenhouse
this year, as it's the only way I can keep kids and dogs from destroying
everything. Unfortunately, I forgot about pollination! Nothing much can
get in there, and being in the city, there aren't many insects around
anyway, excepting ants. So far I have tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pawpaw
and runner beans planted. I have a vague idea on pollinating pumpkins,
but nothing on the rest. The runners have already started flowering, the
zucchinis are popping up buds, but the rest is still growing. Any help
would be very much appreciated! I can't leave the door open; I already
tried, and the dogs just dug everything up....don't get me started on
what the kids did! So everything will have to stay shut.

Plant in some lavender as well. It will attract bees. Leave the top or
sides of the glasshouse open open.
:-P

..

Old 11-03-2006, 08:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

.
what a good idea!! I saw some down at my nursery, now you've given me justification to buy it!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jock

buy a hive of bees.
Jock
buy it!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

meee wrote:

"Jonno"
wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message

[...]

Err bees love lavender for some reason. Dont go hunting bugs. Go looking
for slugs.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:35 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Jock wrote:

buy a hive of bees.
Jock

"meee" mailto wrote in message ...
buy it!!!

Get a loan buy some bees get stung by bank manager and bees...

Old 12-03-2006, 06:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jock" wrote in message ...
buy a hive of bees.
Jock

Lol~! That was DH's solution; he always wants to buy bees!! Maybe this is a good excuse to, do you know if they're allowed in the suburbs?
buy it!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jonno" wrote in message ...
meee wrote:

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

Slugs? Oh, riiiight! bad slugs! evil slugs!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jonno" wrote in message ...
Jock wrote:
buy a hive of bees.
Jock
"meee" wrote in message ...
buy it!!!
Get a loan buy some bees get stung by bank manager and bees...
lol!!!! bee there done that!
Old 14-03-2006, 01:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

"meee" writes:
Hi everyone, advice needed! I have planted some vegies in my greenhouse this
year, as it's the only way I can keep kids and dogs from destroying
everything. Unfortunately, I forgot about pollination! Nothing much can get
in there, and being in the city, there aren't many insects around anyway,
excepting ants. So far I have tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pawpaw and runner
beans planted. I have a vague idea on pollinating pumpkins, but nothing on
the rest. The runners have already started flowering, the zucchinis are

Good news about the zucchini--they don't need pollination if you pick the
fruit within a day after the flower fully opens. As for the other crops,
it sounds like you need to get your own hive of bees. There was a story
on [probably] ABC tv some months back, about [IIRC] a teenager who sells
hives of native bees. These are stingless, and a bit smaller than a house
fly. He came up with something quite innovative about housing the bees so
that it's possible to steal a bit of their honey without, as is usually
done, totally destroying the structure of their painstakingly-constructed
honeycomb. I think the hives are tiny, about the size of a kid's beach
bucket, so can probably be mailed through the post.

I do recall the cameraman managing to get the fellow's web address in one
scene, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe I've jogged someone else's
memory? Try google or search the ABC site. Possibly I saw it on "Landline".

If you do buy a beehive, make sure you don't confine the bees to your
greenhouse, otherwise when you can't provide local pollen and nectar the
bees will starve. They need to be able to scour the neighbourhood to
collect water, too, at those times when you forget to replenish a source.
Maybe there will be enough other balcony gardens on your block where the
bees can collect nectar and pollen during the leaner winter months?

Old 14-03-2006, 01:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

John Savage wrote:

"meee" writes:

[...]

That would allow you to pick a very tiny zuchini..
Old 14-03-2006, 03:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"meee" writes:
[...]

The bees are definitely interesting!! My main concern is whether there will
be enough flowers around to feed them. Winters are dry here, and everything
dies down, as most people only have foliage plants and don't water much in
winter time. I have noticed we have some native bees nesting on my front
porch; they are inside the concrete, or else I would have had a go at moving
them.

Old 14-03-2006, 03:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
John Savage wrote:

"meee" writes:

[...]

Ok. I would prefer them bigger....oh well.