Old 18-03-2006, 06:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Greg William

Default Weeding

I am new to all of this so excuse the dumb questions.

What is the best way to get rid of weeds.?? I read that a "Dutch hoe"is good
..So if I chop the head of the weed off with the hoe,does that mean its gone
for good or its just a temporary measure.

TIA

Old 18-03-2006, 11:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

"Greg William" wrote in message
I am new to all of this so excuse the dumb questions.

What is the best way to get rid of weeds.?? I read that a "Dutch hoe"is

good
.So if I chop the head of the weed off with the hoe,does that mean its

gone
for good or its just a temporary measure.

TIA

In some cases yes and others no. some weeds will resprout from their roots
others give up.

Old 18-03-2006, 08:29 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
u...

I am new to all of this so excuse the dumb questions.

What is the best way to get rid of weeds.?? I read that a "Dutch hoe"is

good

.So if I chop the head of the weed off with the hoe,does that mean its

gone

for good or its just a temporary measure.

TIA

In some cases yes and others no. some weeds will resprout from their roots
others give up.

3 inches or more of mulch is the answer, after hoeing.
No one solution will ever fix weeds, it takes a few strategies, after
all weeds use quite a few strategies to survive.
Theyre very devious...
Old 18-03-2006, 09:18 PM posted to aus.gardens
Greg William

Thanks.

So if I go along and chop the weeds off,then stick 3 inches of sugar cane
mulch over the top,would I get rid of most of the weeds?I don't mind
weeding a few but at the moment I have heaps!! -I want to get rid of them
then mulch the garden.

"Jonno" wrote in message
loosecanon wrote:

. au...

Old 19-03-2006, 12:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com

"Jonno" wrote in message
loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
. au...

Thanks.

So if I go along and chop the weeds off,then stick 3 inches of sugar

cane
mulch over the top,would I get rid of most of the weeds?I don't mind
weeding a few but at the moment I have heaps!! -I want to get rid of

them
then mulch the garden.

"Jonno" wrote in message
.. .

loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
m.au...

I am new to all of this so excuse the dumb questions.

What is the best way to get rid of weeds.?? I read that a "Dutch

hoe"is

good

.So if I chop the head of the weed off with the hoe,does that mean

its

gone

for good or its just a temporary measure.

TIA

In some cases yes and others no. some weeds will resprout from their

roots

others give up.

3 inches or more of mulch is the answer, after hoeing.
No one solution will ever fix weeds, it takes a few strategies, after
all weeds use quite a few strategies to survive.
Theyre very devious...

Weeds like couch grass will pop up again and probably enjoy the mulch.

Onion
weed will appreciate the extra moisture and eventually claw their way
through and be bigger and better than ever. Other weeds will give up. The
seeds need the sun to germinate and they can't get that 3 inches down. I
like to put thick cardboard/newspapers down over the ground before

putting
mulch over the top.

Have fun

Richard

Yes, been there done that. Onion grass is evil. Couch is devious and
Zero is sudden death to all who would try and survive.
Though if planting vegetables there, it should not be used for safety's
sake. Its supposed to be "safe" but I would worry.
Using black plastic and "solarising" (Exposing plastic to sun) the area
will get rid of most of the weeds, especially if you can water
underneath the plastic so the heat
transfers maximum to any living/dying things. Havent tried that, and
the suggestion is to leave it a few months.
The biggest problem then is is neighbours who arent getting rid of their
weeds.

chuck the neighbours under the plastic and solarise them as well. A couple
of days and they should be prepared to sort their weeds out. If not, back
into the cooker.

rob

Old 19-03-2006, 11:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

"Greg William" writes:
I am new to all of this so excuse the dumb questions.

What is the best way to get rid of weeds.?? I read that a "Dutch hoe"is good
.So if I chop the head of the weed off with the hoe,does that mean its gone
for good or its just a temporary measure.

There is a correct technique for using a Dutch hoe effectively. Let me
explain how I understand the experts use it.

On the thrust, you lift the top 0.25 cm of soil as a shallow layer, and this
lifts the tiny weeds, roots and all, and severs the roots from larger weeds,
those 3cm and taller. On the draw, the back edge of the blade digs in and
catches the roots of any larger weeds and heaves them out in one root ball.
The area is then left exposed in the hot sun for a day or two before you do
any watering, whereupon the hot sun bakes the tiny weeds and the root balls
of the larger weeds, and all die with no hope of rejuvenation when you begin
watering that area. If the weeds are really thick, a second going over one
the second day will turn them to ensure all are well desiccated.

So, for best effect get out the Dutch hoe when you anticipate the next few
days to be hot, dry and sunny. The Dutch hoe is best used frequently, on
expansive flat areas, and while the weeds are small and the effort needed
to expose them to the sun is only slight.

Contented chipping!

Old 23-03-2006, 10:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

George.com wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
m.au...

Thanks.

So if I go along and chop the weeds off,then stick 3 inches of sugar

cane

mulch over the top,would I get rid of most of the weeds?I don't mind
weeding a few but at the moment I have heaps!! -I want to get rid of

them

then mulch the garden.

"Jonno" wrote in message
.. .

loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
. com.au...

[...]

Ah yes the great Aussie barbie.
Motivating people are we?
Old 25-03-2006, 08:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

George.com wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

George.com wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
. ..

The biggest problem then is is neighbours who arent getting rid of their
weeds.

chuck the neighbours under the plastic and solarise them as well. A

couple

of days and they should be prepared to sort their weeds out. If not, back
into the cooker.

rob

Ah yes the great Aussie barbie.
Motivating people are we?

one way to stop the *******s winning all the Empire Games gold medals.

Where the bloody hell are you? Frying under a sheet of plastic.

rob

If the poms hadnt been huddling under the blankets in their country,
trying to keep warm, and spent some time on Holiday in Australia to get
fit, they would've won some medals. They get a gold medal for whingin
though. Theyre Bloody hellishly good.. Were giving em something to
whinge about.
We'd be 'appy to solerise em for a while. The couldhave two summers in a
row, but t he one in Ol Blighty is a pretend one I heard...

S Most poms are restricted to WA.... If we ever get invaded, theyre our
dispensible first line of defense...

Er sorry about that.. I 'ad to plant this whinge properly..