Old 31-03-2006, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Default Kaffir Lime Tree

I have a well-established one I use the leaves for in Thai cooking.
It's still in its pot (poor thing) and whilst it seems to be thriving I
feel I should plant it.

When would be the best time, please?

- L
Old 31-03-2006, 08:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Linda H" wrote in message
I have a well-established one I use the leaves for in Thai cooking.
It's still in its pot (poor thing) and whilst it seems to be thriving I
feel I should plant it.

When would be the best time, please?

- L

It depends on where you are but I would do it during dormancy before Spring
growth, say early August, if your winter is benign you could probably get
away with doing it now and give it a little feed.

David

Old 31-03-2006, 08:34 PM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

David Hare-Scott wrote:

It depends on where you are but I would do it during dormancy before Spring
growth, say early August, if your winter is benign you could probably get
away with doing it now and give it a little feed.

David

Hmm, we moved to here around the New Year (just in time to evacuate
bushfires; which was um... fun, amidst stacked furniture & boxes with no
idea what boxes the "precious" stuff was in!)

So it's going to be our first winter here and it gets pretty cold in
this semi-rural area. There are light snow sprinkles a couple of times
through winter (on average) and I know some of my
saved-from-the-last-place plants are going to hate it.

I divided, gathered, took cuttings etc. for almost a year in preparation
for selling our last house and for the move. Everything I have is in
pots & I have the whole lot protected & huddled together like poor
little refugees. (They seem to be doing exceptionally in this clustered
environment actually.) Before they were on a large-ish house block size
and now we've a couple of acres elbow room so I've been gradually moving
the ones that look happy out to where might be their intended places.

I'm currently gathering plants supposedly suited to the region as there
is 'nothing' in the ground at the moment - 'cept for the delightful Cape
Weed that came up wherever soiled was turned and that's everywhere- for
the first three months the front half of our property has had that
raped-by-construction building site barrenness. I haven't even put a
single plant in the ground yet; maybe I'm too scared to!

Old 03-04-2006, 07:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Linda H wrote:

I have a well-established one I use the leaves for in Thai cooking.
It's still in its pot (poor thing) and whilst it seems to be thriving I
feel I should plant it.

When would be the best time, please?

Now, unless you get frosts. Plant it somewhere out of the wind and in the
sunshine.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue