Old 05-04-2006, 11:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Stadelmaier

Default What would you plant?

Help please...
We would like to plant some trees to create shade for a shed, no larger than 5-6m.
However, we would like them to be in-keeping with the surrounding native bush & we would
prefer to have something that is deciduous or at least semi-deciduous, which I'm pretty
sure there is barely no such thing as far as natives go, in the height required anyway.
The soil is quite sandy, north-west facing on a gentle slope. We are in a very high fire
danger area (Hawkesbury area), so have to think of avoiding trees with flaky bark/high oil
content etc. I also don't want to introduce anything that could become a weed problem.
Flowering/bird attracting is not a requirement, although most natives probably are.
I'm thinking I may need to plant a couple of species & thin out or cut-back before winter
to get the effect required, if this is possible?
I am totally lost on this one. I don't get much of a chance to go to the Forestry, so
thought I'd start here.

TIA

--
Trish Stadelmaier