Old 28-04-2006, 09:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC

Default white ants

G'day Carmel

Do NOT disturb them.......I know it's very tempting, but if you do, then
they will reappear somewhere else, possibly your house!!

Unfortunately, (thanks to all the greenies) you are unable to buy the
necessary chemicals to get rid of them now, so you best option is to
phone a pest controller as they are licenced and therefore able to buy
the chemicals.

Get two, or three, quotes and my suggestion is to use the smaller
one-man companies, rather than the big household names who charge heaps
more to fund their massive advertising programs.

Your house is more important than the tree, although if the tree is
already damaged then you might need to have any dead limbs lopped in
case they could fall on your house.

Again, please do NOT be tempted to disturb them.
Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Sandgroper wrote:

I noticed what I think to be white ant activity in a gum tree near my vegie
garden this morning. Any suggestions on how to save the tree but, more
importantly, kill the ants!
Cheers, Carmel

Old 28-04-2006, 10:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
Sandgroper

Oh oh! I did prod around with a "twig". Thought the damage may have been
caused by borers. What's the difference in tell-tale signs?
Thanks for your reply - I'd better get a pest controller in.
Thanks again, Carmel

Old 28-04-2006, 04:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dave Turner

wrap the tree in glad-wrap and suffocate the *******s?

Old 30-04-2006, 10:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

he he he. Try loud rap music 20 hours a day - they might leave home - I
nearly did:-)

Old 30-04-2006, 05:45 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dave Turner

i'm against cruelty to animals. gladwrap is one thing, but RAP MUSIC?
you're a sick puppy mate!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Dave Turner wrote:
i'm against cruelty to animals. gladwrap is one thing, but RAP MUSIC?
you're a sick puppy mate!

Ant music? Adam and the ants more suitable ?
Look you didnt even mention the poor tree... Rap music would definitely
have adverse reactions. If it rots the brain,
it would surely rot other organic material.. Probably how root rot sets
in...Remember the poor tree cant move...
Trying its darndest to move and disaster...Rooted would the the correct
technical term!
Are you sure youre a gardener? (grin!)
Old 02-05-2006, 01:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

Don't you remember that Myth Busters show where they measured the growth of
peas subject to various types of music - I think Heavy Metal provided the
best results - soothing orchestral stunted growth.

I guess it all depends if the tree has grown up on Hard Rock :-)

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Don't you remember that Myth Busters show where they measured the growth of
peas subject to various types of music - I think Heavy Metal provided the
best results - soothing orchestral stunted growth.

I guess it all depends if the tree has grown up on Hard Rock :-)

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Dave Turner wrote:

i'm against cruelty to animals. gladwrap is one thing, but RAP MUSIC?
you're a sick puppy mate!

Ant music? Adam and the ants more suitable ?
Look you didnt even mention the poor tree... Rap music would definitely
have adverse reactions. If it rots the brain,
it would surely rot other organic material.. Probably how root rot sets
in...Remember the poor tree cant move...
Trying its darndest to move and disaster...Rooted would the the correct
technical term!
Are you sure youre a gardener? (grin!)

I cant see hard rock letting anything grow. See your yates garden guide...

Mind you it has to good for something... :-( Just cant think what...

Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dave Turner

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
Don't you remember that Myth Busters show where they measured the growth
of peas subject to various types of music - I think Heavy Metal provided
the best results - soothing orchestral stunted growth.

I guess it all depends if the tree has grown up on Hard Rock :-)

yeah I watched that episode with great interest. I live and breathe music
but the Mythbusters test wasnt very scientific - they were pretty much just
comparing different types of music - classical vs rock etc, rather than
actually figuring out or explaining what exactly it is about the music that
was actually stimulating plant growth

Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Dave Turner wrote:
"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message

Don't you remember that Myth Busters show where they measured the growth
of peas subject to various types of music - I think Heavy Metal provided
the best results - soothing orchestral stunted growth.

I guess it all depends if the tree has grown up on Hard Rock :-)

yeah I watched that episode with great interest. I live and breathe music
but the Mythbusters test wasnt very scientific - they were pretty much just
comparing different types of music - classical vs rock etc, rather than
actually figuring out or explaining what exactly it is about the music that
was actually stimulating plant growth

When planting seedlings I was instructed to create air currents over the
seedlings to simulate wind.
This caused the plants to sway and created space between the plants
cells to help strengthen the seedling.
It maybe something similar to this. So I would guess mechanical
movement such as vibration would do this.
Not quite sure if this was the correct explanation... :-)

Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandgroper" wrote in message
I noticed what I think to be white ant activity in a gum tree near my
vegie
garden this morning. Any suggestions on how to save the tree but,
more
importantly, kill the ants!
Cheers, Carmel

Use 'DIPEL' which contains a bacteria, available from any (good)
garden centre. (intended for caterpillars, but works like a charm)

Mix it up a sachet and pour it around & on the tree, including into
where you disturbed them (disturb them as much as possible). They will
carry this bacteria back into the nest & wipe out the whole nest.

It also kills many species of nuisance ants.

Environmentally friendly too.