GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Adding vitamins to your compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/143742-adding-vitamins-your-compost.html)

Roberta Bagshaw 09-05-2006 08:27 AM

Adding vitamins to your compost

Hi everyone

I was going through my personal "store" of vitamins & minerals etc., and
discarding those which were well & truly out of date. It occurred to me
that rather than disposing of these wastefully, they may very well be
beneficial to my compost.

My thoughts were that perhaps the best way to deal with it is to dissolve
the pills, capsules and powders, and then pouring the liquid into the
tumbler.

Any ideas on this?..... could this be harmful?

~Roberta~

George.com 09-05-2006 10:19 AM

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I was going through my personal "store" of vitamins & minerals etc., and
discarding those which were well & truly out of date. It occurred to me
that rather than disposing of these wastefully, they may very well be
beneficial to my compost.

My thoughts were that perhaps the best way to deal with it is to dissolve
the pills, capsules and powders, and then pouring the liquid into the
tumbler.

Any ideas on this?..... could this be harmful?

I can't see it will be too beneficial to your compost roberta. If you put a
balanced mix in your compost you will end up with a balanced result with the
correct mineral intact. If you have a big compost heap putting small amount
of minerals should not overload it whereas if you have a small compost heap
you may, and a guess here only, unbalanced the mix with too many health
suppliments. It is not probably a good idea to put medicines in the compost
if you have any of them. Dispose of them according to any label on the
bottle/box. It also depends on what you are going to use the compost for?
Growing vegetables, as a soil conditioner for lawn, growing roses, as a
mulch around trees etc. As a general mulch around big trees for instance I
doubt a small amount of health supplements in your compost will make too
much difference to them.

rob