Old 09-05-2006, 08:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Default Dog chewing my succulent-type plants!

Our neighbour's dog (a bounding aged boxer) keeps finding new wombat
holes under the back fence and comes over daily the minute his family
heads out to work. They've kept fixing the holes but we all realise
he's very lonely as his friend, their other Boxer, died recently.

He really is a lovely, happy dog even tho' he's typically lively (he
annoys the crap out of our dogs) and we don't want to necessarily
prevent him from coming over; we could, by running chicken/pig wire/mesh
along our fences (they're strand wire farm-type fences) and we're going
to have to do that eventually because of our own little (house) dog but
doing that to small acreage is expensive.

Meanwhile, the bugger's taken a liking to anything like a succulent.
They end up all over the ground like confetti so at least he's not
swallowing them. I have a collection in pots and I was upset when I
caught him one day taking to one of my much-loved Agave Attenuata's.
I've put my other big Agave's up high where he can't get them but I need
to put them down low soon to where I'm building protection from the
looming frosts/snow.

He doesn't seem to 'eat' them - just playfully toss & tear them to
shreds. Is there something I could safely spray on or near them to
deter him? I know I have some nasty tasting stuff I got from the vet
when our little dog had an operation to deter her licking stitches but
that will probably kill my plants I reckon.

Any hints?

L.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"Linda H" wrote in message
u...

[...]

idea #1 is that the dog be more usefully engaged either when he comes over,
or at his house. you've sort of spelled out the problems with this... i
think the onus is on his people to help him, not on you, but you clearly
like him & the only real problem is the succulents & the people aren't
helping! have you ever tried greeting him when he comes, and playing a game
with him for a while so he doesn't resort to pulling up the plants? will
your dogs greet and play with him?

idea #2 - have you tried/were you able to correct him? as in, catch him
literally in the act & rouse at him & thus dissuade him? (this idea is very
vague - my dog continues to do certain things he's not allowed - he just
makes sure he doesn't get caught. other things, he simply will not do
because they are verboten, but i can't grasp how he decides what to continue
with, & what to give up on :-) still, if you can dissuade him from ever
doing it again, problem solved. it will be difficult because by this point
he thinks it's ok for him to do.

idea #3 - buy some of the foul tasting stuff & put it on one plant to check
if it's toxic to the plant or not. if not, put it on all of them!! this will
take a while though, you need time for the stuff to have an effect if it's
going to. (a week? two? longer?) perhaps an online search might reveal which
repellants are plant-safe?

idea #4 - barriers & other physical means. you won't get the garden you want
this way, but you'll have all your plants intact for the remaining life of
the dog.

idea #5 - boxer is kept at his house via (you) fixing the fence. this
doesn't sound like an easy option, but since you eventually want to do it
anyway, there you are. it would solve the problem.

idea #6 - grit your teeth until the dog dies of old age.

i really think you & the neighbours need to work together about it, so each
of you can do what you can. poor old dog clearly needs more company & more
to do. if the neighbours can do their part, there might not be a problem at
all. what is their feeling about it? are they nice and willing to help you
with this? they might even have a better idea. :-)
kylie

Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
ushere

hot chilli paste. works everytime - unless it rains - we can only hope....

leslie
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

ushere wrote:
hot chilli paste. works everytime - unless it rains - we can only
hope....

leslie

Put in an
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric
fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence

Works every time!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
ushere

Jonno wrote:
ushere wrote:
[...]

wouldn't one fence do?

Old 10-05-2006, 07:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

ushere wrote:
Jonno wrote:
ushere wrote:
[...]

Take out any fences you cant afford...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:46 PM posted to aus.gardens
MG

"ushere" wrote in message
news
hot chilli paste. works everytime - unless it rains - we can only hope....

leslie

definitely works for my 18mth old GSD...he hates the stuff, and goes running
when he sees me coming out with the bottle to top up any plants which have
been washed by rain etc

Old 11-05-2006, 05:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Jonno wrote:

Put in an
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric

snip: oops, a short circuit in me fence!

Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence

Works every time!

Heh, nice bit of fencing, Jonno!

L.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Put in an
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric

snip: oops, a short circuit in me fence!

Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence

Works every time!

Heh, nice bit of fencing, Jonno!

L.

I thought it was all rather shocking but dogs that eat succulents ,
shocking the owner, should get the same rewards.
I once had a small fish pond, and in the morning, a local dog would get
into my goldfish. Lost 60% of them.
The yelp that woke me up at 3 AM was deliriously funny. I finally told
em what I did..After |I stopped rolling around on the floor.
Well what would you expect an electronic hobbyist to do? He never did
come back and there was a very nervous dog in that neighbourhood. Never
knew what bit him....

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Put in an
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric

snip: oops, a short circuit in me fence!

Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence

Works every time!

Heh, nice bit of fencing, Jonno!

L.

Some more uses for electrical energy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1636194.htm

Great Leapin lizards....

Old 11-05-2006, 12:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

Yeah go with the electric fence !!! Bunnings sell a battery driven job that
is quite cheap. Dogs on touch it a couple of times - then don't go anywhere
near it. Ours hasn't had power in it for over a month, but the dogs are
still avoiding it !!!

Geoff

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Old 11-05-2006, 01:27 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Yeah go with the electric fence !!! Bunnings sell a battery driven job that
is quite cheap. Dogs on touch it a couple of times - then don't go anywhere
near it. Ours hasn't had power in it for over a month, but the dogs are
still avoiding it !!!

Yeah it shore spooked that one...
Finally, someones taking me seriously. Didnt know about Bunnings.
But it goes to show. The community that shares is a community that cares.
Those succulent chewing dogs are a bugger though...Wonda if they like
t-baccie.
Dogs in my days used ta chew bones. Wunda what the worlds coming too.
Dogs dont know much about gardening...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Yeah go with the electric fence !!! Bunnings sell a battery driven job that
is quite cheap. Dogs on touch it a couple of times - then don't go anywhere
near it. Ours hasn't had power in it for over a month, but the dogs are
still avoiding it !!!

Geoff

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

ushere wrote:

hot chilli paste. works everytime - unless it rains - we can only
hope....

leslie

Put in an
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence
Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence Electric fence
Electr

Who switched the electric fence of?

Anyway be carefull around kids people etc if you try this one.
They are pretty safe as a rule but anyone having a whiz on the fence
could suffer. Dont put it near the lemon tree...
Current is minimal and shouldnt worry normal people, but hey, are
gardeners normal people?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"Jonno" wrote in message
Geoff & Heather wrote:
Yeah go with the electric fence !!! Bunnings sell a battery driven job
that is quite cheap. Dogs on touch it a couple of times - then don't go
anywhere near it. Ours hasn't had power in it for over a month, but the
dogs are still avoiding it !!!

Yeah it shore spooked that one...
Finally, someones taking me seriously. Didnt know about Bunnings.
But it goes to show. The community that shares is a community that cares.
Those succulent chewing dogs are a bugger though...Wonda if they like
t-baccie.
Dogs in my days used ta chew bones. Wunda what the worlds coming too.
Dogs dont know much about gardening...

well, that's right - mine only chews bones when he's not helping me in the
garden (or more accurately, slacking about). he thinks that eating the
dynamic lifter is the best help he can give as it also involves strolling
about on the veggie bed - something i never make time for, meself. i
disagree with his method & he with mine, but isn't that gardeners all over?!
;-)
kylie

Old 16-05-2006, 12:00 PM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

The electric fence does bite a bit, but it only pulses every 4 sec, so you
get plenty of time to move after the first bite !! No where near as strong
as a farm type fence - they can really bring tears to your eyes. These ones
are designed for small animals, not huge cows.

"Jonno" wrote in message
Geoff & Heather wrote:
Yeah go with the electric fence !!! Bunnings sell a battery driven job
that is quite cheap. Dogs on touch it a couple of times - then don't go
anywhere near it. Ours hasn't had power in it for over a month, but the
dogs are still avoiding it !!!

Geoff

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...