Old 14-05-2006, 07:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
peter

Default dog friendly gardens

Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it daily. I'm
curious to find other plants others have seen to be enjoyed by dogs.
Thanks peter

Old 14-05-2006, 07:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"peter" wrote in message
u...
Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it daily.
I'm curious to find other plants others have seen to be enjoyed by dogs.
Thanks peter

please to suffer my ignorance:

there's a shrub which i know grows well in sydney and canberra & all points
in between (and so quite probably in nnsw) about 1 metre high max but often
less. the pointed oval leaves (about 2-3cm long) grow out green but rapidly
turn to a beautiful vibrant crimson red all year around. i find it very
beautiful but, as you see, i have no idea what it's called :-) someone here
would know.

my dog LOVES IT and so do his friends. not to chew, but to smell, rub
themselves on & lift their dear little legs on. (what it's appeal could
possibly be, i have no idea, but it must have a compelling smell)

i was also reading recently about what makes a good "dog garden".
landscaping ideas include lots of paths and "garden rooms" and other
explorable areas. many dogs like some up-high viewing points to add to the
mix, as well as low-down areas (without a view) for exploration and
sniffing, etc. some places they can dig freely for toys or treats and make a
mess without getting into trouble from you g. some sheltered sunny areas
for dozing and slacking, and of course some open areas if they're into
chasing tennis balls lovingly thrown by your good self etc. many dogs enjoy
swimming or paddling, so a pond or little pool for them might be a nice idea
depending on your water access/restrictions/how nice you are. in short, if
it's visually interesting & can be explored part by part by a human, it's
probably good for a dog too. (here i hope i'm not telling you things you
already know & have done. ;-)

good luck with finding out which other plants they like!
kylie

Old 14-05-2006, 07:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

peter wrote:
Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it daily. I'm
curious to find other plants others have seen to be enjoyed by dogs.
Thanks peter

These are some poisonous ones...The others cant be found for the
moment....

http://www.puppychow.com/Health/Poisonous_Plants.aspx

Old 14-05-2006, 08:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
peter

"Jonno" wrote in message
peter wrote:
Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it daily.
I'm curious to find other plants others have seen to be enjoyed by dogs.
Thanks peter

These are some poisonous ones...The others cant be found for the
moment....

http://www.puppychow.com/Health/Poisonous_Plants.aspx

Good site. I was suprised by some of the dangerous plants listed. thanks

Old 14-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
peter

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"peter" wrote in message
[...]

We're very lucky here. It's a small piece of paradise. Everything grows
well.All the animals have an easy life with heaps to explore. Thanks for
your great reply, a lot of ideas there to consider. Cheers

Old 14-05-2006, 12:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

peter wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message

"peter" wrote in message
[...]

Use www.google.com to search for "dog friendly garden" You'll :-) be
surprised....
Old 14-05-2006, 02:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
Andrew Gabb

peter wrote:
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it daily. I'm
curious to find other plants others have seen to be enjoyed by dogs.
Thanks peter

Ours picks capsicums off the bush given a chance (we closed off the
garden after finding some bush bits near the back door). I think
this started because he liked to eat the grass near the capsicums.
Also broad beans.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
Old 15-05-2006, 01:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
peter

"Jonno" wrote in message
peter wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message

"peter" wrote in message
[...]

good old google. I should have done that first up
cheers

Old 15-05-2006, 01:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
peter

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message
peter wrote:
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it daily.
I'm curious to find other plants others have seen to be enjoyed by dogs.
Thanks peter

Ours picks capsicums off the bush given a chance (we closed off the garden
after finding some bush bits near the back door). I think this started
because he liked to eat the grass near the capsicums. Also broad beans.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew
I'll get a few capsicum plants
cheers

Old 15-05-2006, 01:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

peter wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

peter wrote:

"0tterbot" wrote in message

"peter" wrote in message
[...]

Google hasn't got all the answers We have the other answers based on
experience...

Old 16-05-2006, 12:06 PM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

I have a friend whose dog just loves chillies - even habenaros - until the
next day then he gets very nervous as he needs to squat :-)

u...

Old 28-06-2006, 12:21 PM posted to aus.gardens
ant

peter wrote:
Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it
daily. I'm curious to find other plants others have seen to be
enjoyed by dogs. Thanks peter

I had a large prostrate rosemary, and the fox terrier used to love sitting
in the middle of it.

--
ant

Old 29-06-2006, 08:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
peter

"ant" wrote in message
peter wrote:
Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it
daily. I'm curious to find other plants others have seen to be
enjoyed by dogs. Thanks peter

I had a large prostrate rosemary, and the fox terrier used to love sitting
in the middle of it.

--
ant

Ta.
I'll lookout for one. They leave my other rosmary alone, (upright). It is
near the scented lemon verbena, which is trying to keep up with the dogs,
but only just.
Cheers

Old 29-06-2006, 12:02 PM posted to aus.gardens
ant

peter wrote:
"ant" wrote in message
peter wrote:
Hi all
I share my place with four dogs, I'm on 5 acres NNSW.
I've noticed they love my lemon scented Verbena, they chew on it
daily. I'm curious to find other plants others have seen to be
enjoyed by dogs. Thanks peter

I had a large prostrate rosemary, and the fox terrier used to love
sitting in the middle of it.

--
ant

Ta.
I'll lookout for one. They leave my other rosmary alone, (upright).
It is near the scented lemon verbena, which is trying to keep up with
the dogs, but only just.
Cheers

She really did a job on this rosemary. I wondered if maybe she was after
lizards or something under it, but she'd just sit in it for hours. She
totally changed its shape by her activities.

The dogs also love sticky weed. You don't want to plant this stuff, it's
horrible, but they love to eat the seeds. It's some creepign, very fine
weed, and it sticks to everything.When you try to pull it out, the
connection to the roots is really fine, and it breaks off. I don't know how
the seeds taste, but they totally go for it. They'll be in there for hours,
stripping off the seeds.

--
ant