Old 18-05-2006, 06:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
Shaw

Default Gutter guard?

My new house is building and the scaffolding is up for the roof tilers at
the moment. There are 2 large peppermint trees that overhangs the top roof
of the house by about .5m - 1m.

I was thinking now would be a good idea to put some sort of gutter guards in
those areas of the roof. I am hoping to do it myself since the scaffold is
there.

I am looking for reommendation of the BEST product;
- That will last forever (as the roof will not be easy to get to once the
scaffold is gone)
- That is readily available in Perth (Bunnings?)
- That is easy to install
- No bushfire risk here - inner suburban

Old 18-05-2006, 07:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Shaw" wrote in message
My new house is building and the scaffolding is up for the roof tilers at
the moment. There are 2 large peppermint trees that overhangs the top

roof
of the house by about .5m - 1m.

I was thinking now would be a good idea to put some sort of gutter guards

in
those areas of the roof. I am hoping to do it myself since the scaffold

is
there.

I am looking for reommendation of the BEST product;
- That will last forever (as the roof will not be easy to get to once

the
scaffold is gone)
- That is readily available in Perth (Bunnings?)
- That is easy to install
- No bushfire risk here - inner suburban

I was quite impressed with a metal one that starts up the roof a bit and
slopes down over the gutter, the idea is that the more gradual slope allows
leaves to fall/blow/be hosed off rather than get stuck in a horizontal trap
over the guttering. I haven't used it so I cannot say if the claims
actually work.

BTW what is your plan for when the trees shed whole branches instead of just
leaves?

David

Old 18-05-2006, 08:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Shaw wrote:

I was thinking now would be a good idea to put some sort of gutter guards in
those areas of the roof. I am hoping to do it myself since the scaffold is
there.

Tile roof?
There is a fine mesh (plastic {:-( product that I think is best as it
goes between the outside of the gutter and over the top of the first
tile. Lets the water through easiest and keeps the most leaf/organic
matter out.

any 1/2"x1/2" stuff will not have any use what so ever.

The problem is that the minimum slope tends to collect fine organic
matter that muclches down. You either need a little machine to patrol
your gutter and sweep it down the down pipe, or a way of power flushing
your gutters regularly, or to get up there and clean it out.

hmm, perhaps you could install roof safety anchors permanently for
walking along the roof to do this every quarter {:-).

Personally, I think you need a 12" wide gutter, dropping 1 foot every
ten so that whatever drops into is flushed down the downpipe. Then have
a filter system at the bottom if you are going to collect it.
Old 18-05-2006, 08:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Jock wrote:

http://www.rainharvesting.com.au/blu...utter_mesh.asp

That looks to be the sort of stuff I was talking about. Pity the web
site is too flash and doesn't give clear pictures, nor where you can buy
it. I would want a lot more information before I'd order direct,

Anyway, there is a problem with this. The neighbours stuff has lost of
little leaves sticking up from it. the stem of fine leaves goes down the
holes and become stuck, which can stop other stuff sliding off as well.

but, i still think it is the best stuff around.
Old 18-05-2006, 10:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com

"Shaw" wrote in message
My new house is building and the scaffolding is up for the roof tilers at
the moment. There are 2 large peppermint trees that overhangs the top

roof
of the house by about .5m - 1m.

I was thinking now would be a good idea to put some sort of gutter guards

in
those areas of the roof. I am hoping to do it myself since the scaffold

is
there.

I am looking for reommendation of the BEST product;
- That will last forever (as the roof will not be easy to get to once

the
scaffold is gone)
- That is readily available in Perth (Bunnings?)
- That is easy to install
- No bushfire risk here - inner suburban

Here in NZ I investigated gutter guard for my house (tin roof) but didn't
like it. I got hold of a bottle brush type product you slip in to the gutter
that lets the rain flow through but traps things like leaves and allows them
to blow away in the wind. If I need to be on the roof doing any maintenance
to the gutters the lengths of bottle brush are easy to remove and reinsert.
They are not perfect and you may want the same colour as your roof to blend
in (a little bit sticks out the top of my gutter). I presume you can get
them in Aus. An alternative you may want to look at.

rob

Old 19-05-2006, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
James McNangle

"Shaw" wrote:
I am looking for reommendation of the BEST product;
- That will last forever (as the roof will not be easy to get to once the
scaffold is gone)

We have several roofs, both concrete tile and metal, that have a relatively low
pitch. These tend to accumulate a lot of leaves, and I was for ever having to
get up and clean the gutters. When I did I would take up a straw broom and
sweep all the litter off the roof. A couple of years ago I had something -- I
think the name actually was Gutter Guard -- fitted, and hadn't been on the roof
since. It was green plastic, with fine slits, and seems to do a fine job. A
few weeks ago I happen to look at one of the roofs and noticed that it was deep
in litter, with big clumps of moss. I know that if these get too big they will
dam the water and cause it to come through, so it was up on the roof with the
straw broom again.

So, if you have overhanging trees, there is no permanent solution.

James McNangle
Old 19-05-2006, 09:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Glenn

A builder once told me about a DIY version of the mentioned product -
suitable only for tile roofs though....

Cut a width of flywire (get the aluminium type used in flyscreen doors
- very tough and long lasting). The width is cut wide enough to run on
top of the first tile and under the second so it is held pinned into
place. The other edge runs down over the gutter and is folded and
clipped over the outside edge of the gutter (you would need to find
something suitable to clip it). Nothing except fine particles can get
through it as the 'uphill' edge is firmly sitting under the second tile
and leaves, where leaves can't get. I've been meaning to do it myself
on my own roof but haven't got to it yet - so can't be 100% it works,
but I'd be very confident it would.

Cheers
Glenn

Old 19-05-2006, 02:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Glenn wrote:
A builder once told me about a DIY version of the mentioned product -
suitable only for tile roofs though....

Cut a width of flywire (get the aluminium type used in flyscreen doors
- very tough and long lasting).

Talk about a brain fart. Why didn't i think of this before. Now all I
need is a supply of those finger things for corrugated roofs and I know
what to do.