Old 18-05-2006, 05:54 PM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Default Strawberry growers & black plastic

I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

L.
Old 18-05-2006, 11:57 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

L.

Havent you heard of weeds and keeping the ground warm, and easier,
cleaner picking and maintaince?
Old 19-05-2006, 12:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Jonno wrote:
Linda H wrote:

I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

L.

Havent you heard of weeds and keeping the ground warm, and easier,
cleaner picking and maintaince?

Weeds? Nah, never heard of 'em.

But yeah, that makes sense and common sense in this instance escaped me.
Anyway, okay thank you, Jonno.

L.

Old 19-05-2006, 12:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"Linda H" wrote in message
u...
I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

the berries mustn't touch the ground - they're called strawberries because
you would traditionally put down straw around them to keep the berries off
the ground! (or on modern farms, plastic, but plasticberries doesn't sound
very nice ;-)
kylie

Old 19-05-2006, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

0tterbot wrote:

the berries mustn't touch the ground - they're called strawberries because
you would traditionally put down straw around them to keep the berries off
the ground!

Ah-ha.

(or on modern farms, plastic, but plasticberries doesn't sound
very nice ;-)
kylie

Heh. Thanks, Kylie!

L.

Old 19-05-2006, 03:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:
Linda H wrote:

I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

L.

Havent you heard of weeds and keeping the ground warm, and easier,
cleaner picking and maintaince?

Weeds? Nah, never heard of 'em.

But yeah, that makes sense and common sense in this instance escaped
me. Anyway, okay thank you, Jonno.

L.

Me neither.
Anyway how did the strawberries survive before human intervention, and
what were they called then?
And before they invented ther rasp, what were raspeberries called, and
before logans hero's what were loganberries called ( er hoganberries?)
Old 19-05-2006, 06:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:
Linda H wrote:

I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

L.

Havent you heard of weeds and keeping the ground warm, and easier,
cleaner picking and maintaince?

Weeds? Nah, never heard of 'em.

But yeah, that makes sense and common sense in this instance escaped me.
Anyway, okay thank you, Jonno.

L.

Me neither.
Anyway how did the strawberries survive before human intervention, and
what were they called then?
And before they invented ther rasp, what were raspeberries called, and
before logans hero's what were loganberries called ( er hoganberries?)

and do happy people eat blueberries? and what happens if they do?

do old people eat youngberries?

can girls eat boysenberries?

do people with beri-beri eat any kind of berries?!

Old 19-05-2006, 07:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Jonno wrote:

Me neither.
Anyway how did the strawberries survive before human intervention, and
what were they called then?
And before they invented ther rasp, what were raspeberries called, and
before logans hero's what were loganberries called ( er hoganberries?)

I dunno but one thing I do know is that you're not supposed to call 'em
Bl**kberries anymore; it's African-Americanberries.

L.
Old 19-05-2006, 07:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

0tterbot wrote:

and do happy people eat blueberries? and what happens if they do?

do old people eat youngberries?

Hmm, maybe they have Elderberries instead (?)

can girls eat boysenberries?

I know a girl who does but she's a Lezzoberry.

do people with beri-beri eat any kind of berries?!

All good questions which only adds to my confusion coz I was already
worrying that if a Gooseberry is male, is it a Ganderberry? Are
Mull-berries what young boys pack into their bongs? Do people from
Albury even eat fruit?

This whole berry thing is such a dilemma!

L.
Old 19-05-2006, 08:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Linda H wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Linda H wrote:

I've often wondered when going past strawberry growers why they are
planted in rows & rows of black plastic. Why do they do this?

L.

Havent you heard of weeds and keeping the ground warm, and easier,
cleaner picking and maintaince?

Weeds? Nah, never heard of 'em.

But yeah, that makes sense and common sense in this instance escaped me.
Anyway, okay thank you, Jonno.

L.

Me neither.
Anyway how did the strawberries survive before human intervention, and
what were they called then?
And before they invented ther rasp, what were raspeberries called, and
before logans hero's what were loganberries called ( er hoganberries?)

and do happy people eat blueberries? and what happens if they do?

Look Im not a phychiatrist! Im asking the questions.
do old people eat youngberries?

Only the smart ones who dont have alzheimers.
can girls eat boysenberries?
Only if of age, if theyre consenting adults

do people with beri-beri eat any kind of berries?!

They were named in an echo chamber. But they sort of repeat them selves

Old 19-05-2006, 08:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Me neither.
Anyway how did the strawberries survive before human intervention,
and what were they called then?
And before they invented ther rasp, what were raspeberries called,
and before logans hero's what were loganberries called ( er
hoganberries?)

I dunno but one thing I do know is that you're not supposed to call
'em Bl**kberries anymore; it's African-Americanberries.

I spray them for that reason with American African spray. But if they
ever find out I will be charged with genocide.(murdering the English
language?)
Old 19-05-2006, 01:16 PM posted to aus.gardens
George.com

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:
Linda H wrote:

[...]

do white people eat black berries?

rob

Old 19-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

George.com wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Linda H wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Linda H wrote:

[...]

More to the point, do black people eat black berries. What are the
implications...

Old 20-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

"Linda H" wrote in message
u...
0tterbot wrote:

and do happy people eat blueberries? and what happens if they do?

do old people eat youngberries?

Hmm, maybe they have Elderberries instead (?)

can girls eat boysenberries?

I know a girl who does but she's a Lezzoberry.

do people with beri-beri eat any kind of berries?!

All good questions which only adds to my confusion coz I was already
worrying that if a Gooseberry is male, is it a Ganderberry? Are
Mull-berries what young boys pack into their bongs? Do people from Albury
even eat fruit?

This whole berry thing is such a dilemma!

it certainly is much more complicated than any of us realised! still, it's
berry important to stay informed and currant.
kylie

Old 20-05-2006, 10:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Linda H" wrote in message
u...
0tterbot wrote:

and do happy people eat blueberries? and what happens if they do?

do old people eat youngberries?

Hmm, maybe they have Elderberries instead (?)

can girls eat boysenberries?

I know a girl who does but she's a Lezzoberry.

do people with beri-beri eat any kind of berries?!

All good questions which only adds to my confusion coz I was already
worrying that if a Gooseberry is male, is it a Ganderberry? Are
Mull-berries what young boys pack into their bongs? Do people from

Albury
even eat fruit?

This whole berry thing is such a dilemma!

it certainly is much more complicated than any of us realised! still, it's
berry important to stay informed and currant.
kylie

Is it even worth raisin the point that this thread is past its use by
date(s)?

rob