Old 26-05-2006, 02:34 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default Missing snail pellets

Hi all,

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Cheers

Richard

Old 27-05-2006, 05:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

loosecanon wrote:
Hi all,

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Cheers

Richard

lOOK AROUND FOR DEAD BIRDS DOGS OR SNAILS
Er Capslock Hate that button!!!!
Put them where only snails can get em. If you want them to die happy
put a saucer of beer down (only works if the better/worse half isnt an
alcoholic) Cover it so water cant get in and snails can...
PS Snails are very good at undercover work so may have sneaked the
pellets away, and blown them up somewhere.
Old 27-05-2006, 12:06 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"loosecanon" wrote:

Hi all,

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Yep. Rats, I'm afraid.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 27-05-2006, 02:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"loosecanon" wrote:

Hi all,

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the

next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Yep. Rats, I'm afraid.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You

may
Kerry Cue

Thanks for that I was so hoping someone else would come to that conclusion.
So far I have caught 3 rats in rat traps using snail pellets as bait.

I was just seeing if someone else realised and if anybody else was getting
the same thing.

Cheers

Richard

Old 27-05-2006, 03:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
loosecanon wrote:
Hi all,

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the

next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Cheers

Richard

lOOK AROUND FOR DEAD BIRDS DOGS OR SNAILS
Er Capslock Hate that button!!!!
Put them where only snails can get em. If you want them to die happy
put a saucer of beer down (only works if the better/worse half isnt an
alcoholic) Cover it so water cant get in and snails can...
PS Snails are very good at undercover work so may have sneaked the
pellets away, and blown them up somewhere.

I had this happen before. Some hippeastrums were coming into flower so I put
some snail pellets in the pots. Only to find the pots had no snail pellets
in the next day. Was no signs of snails to be seen. I just put bigger and
bigger amounts of snail pellets in and all the time they disappeared.

I knew then I had a rat and put a sachet of "single feed instant sort of
kill after a drink that is" poison out. This disappeared also. Then put out
some snail pellets again which were not touched. So I figured I got him.

I cordone off the garden so my dog doesn't get at the pellets which would
surely see him at the vet. Birds don't eat green pellets either.

If anyone else is having the problem of disappearing snail pellets and want
to see the trap baited with snail pellets and dead rat I'd be happy to pass
it on. Less rats in the world is a good thing.

Cheers

Richard

Old 29-05-2006, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

"loosecanon" writes:
Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Once, after experiencing a similar thing for 5 or 6 consecutive days, I
happened to be standing at the window around midmorning puzzling over the
disappearing bait when I saw a rat emerge and bound about collecting it
all! So now each season before I can begin putting out snail bait I have
to first set rat bait!

Old 29-05-2006, 03:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

John Savage wrote:
"loosecanon" writes:

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Once, after experiencing a similar thing for 5 or 6 consecutive days, I
happened to be standing at the window around midmorning puzzling over the
disappearing bait when I saw a rat emerge and bound about collecting it
all! So now each season before I can begin putting out snail bait I have
to first set rat bait!

Beaut and make sure you use the one without warfarin. They seem to be
less effective..
Old 29-05-2006, 09:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
James McNangle

"loosecanon" writes:

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

I recently saw plastic bags of cut-price snail bait on a market stall. It did
look rather dirty! ;-)

James McNangle
Old 29-05-2006, 10:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
MK

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"loosecanon" writes:
Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the
next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Once, after experiencing a similar thing for 5 or 6 consecutive days, I
happened to be standing at the window around midmorning puzzling over the
disappearing bait when I saw a rat emerge and bound about collecting it
all! So now each season before I can begin putting out snail bait I have
to first set rat bait!

We had a deaf white cat that died from eating snail pellets. No sooner
would you put them on the garden and it would follow around eating them!
This was in the mid-70s, so maybe they've changed the mixture since then?
Any cats acting strange around your garden lately?

MK

Old 29-05-2006, 12:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

"loosecanon" writes:

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the
next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Once, after experiencing a similar thing for 5 or 6 consecutive days, I
happened to be standing at the window around midmorning puzzling over the
disappearing bait when I saw a rat emerge and bound about collecting it
all! So now each season before I can begin putting out snail bait I have
to first set rat bait!

We had a deaf white cat that died from eating snail pellets. No sooner
would you put them on the garden and it would follow around eating them!
This was in the mid-70s, so maybe they've changed the mixture since then?
Any cats acting strange around your garden lately?

MK

Yeah, must be breeding season....

Old 29-05-2006, 02:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

..au...
"loosecanon" writes:
Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the
next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Once, after experiencing a similar thing for 5 or 6 consecutive days, I
happened to be standing at the window around midmorning puzzling over

the
disappearing bait when I saw a rat emerge and bound about collecting it
all! So now each season before I can begin putting out snail bait I have
to first set rat bait!

We had a deaf white cat that died from eating snail pellets. No sooner
would you put them on the garden and it would follow around eating them!
This was in the mid-70s, so maybe they've changed the mixture since then?
Any cats acting strange around your garden lately?

MK

Now I would love it if the cats that came into my place would take rats and
not leave there calling cards. But they don't so if I get the opportunity
they'll wear a fencing staple out of my ging! I firmly believe they should
all be desexed and in cat runs on there owners properties! Also they should
be registered with councils, like dogs are, and cop the same penalties if
found wandering.

Rats spread disease among them toxoplasmosis which is spread by fleas. Most
people that pick it up, get it off their cat. I also wonder how many
pregnant women out there appreciate cat poo in their garden?

Most snail pellets these days have bitterns included which is a part of sea
salt. This is supposed to make snail pellets unattractive to eat to pets. So
perhaps the recipe has change since the 70's! But maybe won't help those
pets that are guts!

Sorry to the cat lovers but I like my garden. I prepare my soil before
planting anything and having someone's moggy having a scratch and poop
peeves me!

The sugar snap peas are in the Italian beans likewise. Preparing for
cauliflower and broccoli.

Snapdragon seedlings are up and will be in the ground in 3 weeks. Stock
seeds have just been sown in 50mm pots.

So hopefully a colourful late winter early spring. While chomping on sugar
snap peas!yum.

Cheers

Richard