Old 28-05-2006, 01:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
Supreme Dalek

Default Indoor Plants

I am new to gardening and in particular indoor plants, is this the
appropriate group for this? Could I post some (small) pictures to this
group for advice?

Latest highlight is that I have brought a Wollemi Pine and have it in my
study near a window, I presume this will be sufficient.

I have some Peace Lillies which I just repotted, they are going nuts.

I also have read that indoor plants are good at improving indoor air
quality, any thoughts on this?
Old 28-05-2006, 02:14 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Supreme Dalek wrote:
I am new to gardening and in particular indoor plants, is this the
appropriate group for this? Could I post some (small) pictures to this
group for advice?

Latest highlight is that I have brought a Wollemi Pine and have it in my
study near a window, I presume this will be sufficient.

I have some Peace Lillies which I just repotted, they are going nuts.

I also have read that indoor plants are good at improving indoor air
quality, any thoughts on this?

Indoor plants are good at improving air quality, but only if you open
all the windows and let them breathe. Otherwise they will die from
polution just like you do. It has been debunked, (They dont) not yet by
the mythbusters, or did I miss that one?

Wollimi pines will probably take over the whole building if you get a
big enough pot. Try to make a bansai pine out of it. Pines do not belong
indoors...

Re your Peace lilies, going nuts, I'm not surprised at the state of the
world these days.

Dont let them watch TV or listen to the radio.
Old 29-05-2006, 05:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
FlowerGirl

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Supreme Dalek wrote:
[...]

Actually I think this one can be grown indoors quite successfully from what
I hear. But I would rotate it outdoors (into a protected area) form time to
time.
They are very slow growing so there should be no need to bonsai.

I've also heard that there may be a prostrate form of the Wollemi Pine
available at some stage (its similar in nature to Araucarias in that the
growth form of the plant depends on whether the cutting is taken from an
apical shoot or a tangential shoot).
I'd like to have a potted one myself - I reckon it's make the best living
Christmas tree ever!
Amanda

Old 29-05-2006, 02:41 PM posted to aus.gardens
Supreme Dalek

FlowerGirl wrote:
Actually I think this one can be grown indoors quite successfully

from what
I hear. But I would rotate it outdoors (into a protected area) form time to
time.
They are very slow growing so there should be no need to bonsai.

I've also heard that there may be a prostrate form of the Wollemi Pine
available at some stage (its similar in nature to Araucarias in that the
growth form of the plant depends on whether the cutting is taken from an
apical shoot or a tangential shoot).
I'd like to have a potted one myself - I reckon it's make the best living
Christmas tree ever!
Amanda

Absolutely.. I have photos if anyone wants to see them - see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wollemia/

I live in Canberra, so I am cautious about taking it outside over
winter. I understand I should also water it very sparingly and not use
fertiliser (except for say fish emulsion or something)?
Old 30-05-2006, 05:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Supreme Dalek writes:
I am new to gardening and in particular indoor plants, is this the
appropriate group for this? Could I post some (small) pictures to this
group for advice?

This is not a binaries newsgroup; that means that binaries should not
be posted here (nor in any other group that is not a binaries group).

The proper course is to find a web site to store your binary and
refer to its URL when you post your enquiry here. If you don't know
of any hosting sites, post again and ask and someone can probably help
you.

I also have read that indoor plants are good at improving indoor air
quality, any thoughts on this?

As I understand it, some plant species are a lot more effective than
others at removing toxic molecules from the air.

indoor pond plants John Rutz Ponds 7 23-11-2003 05:32 PM
Crotons make for easy care indoor plants? [email protected] Gardening 10 16-10-2003 01:32 PM
Good indoor plants for bachelor? [email protected] Gardening 9 29-04-2003 10:08 AM
anyone know any good *indoor* plants for the hornsby area karma_2120 Australia 1 24-04-2003 06:08 AM
Good indoor plants for bachelor? [email protected] Gardening 0 22-04-2003 02:20 AM