GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potting mix question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/145926-potting-mix-question.html)

Staycalm 04-06-2006 01:03 AM

Potting mix question

I have a large unplanted pot which still had a lot of potting mix in it. I
decided to combine it into another pot. When I was tipping it I saw masses
of red worms and at least half a dozen large witchetty grubs. Are these
useful or harmful in a pot? Should I try to remove the grubs or just let
them be. I will probably plant a citrus or other small fruit tree in this
pot (which is quite large).

Liz

Staycalm 04-06-2006 07:32 AM

Potting mix question

I Googled and found out they are White curl grubs and not good for pots and
plants :-(
I am busy trying to dig them all out before planting anything.

Liz

u...

[email protected] 04-06-2006 07:35 AM

Potting mix question

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 10:03:44 +1000, "Staycalm"
wrote:

I have a large unplanted pot which still had a lot of potting mix in it. I
decided to combine it into another pot. When I was tipping it I saw masses
of red worms and at least half a dozen large witchetty grubs. Are these
useful or harmful in a pot? Should I try to remove the grubs or just let
them be. I will probably plant a citrus or other small fruit tree in this
pot (which is quite large).

Liz

Send W. grubs to your local aboriginal community

[email protected] 04-06-2006 07:53 AM

Potting mix question

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 10:03:44 +1000, "Staycalm" wrote:

I have a large unplanted pot which still had a lot of potting mix in it. I
decided to combine it into another pot. When I was tipping it I saw masses
of red worms and at least half a dozen large witchetty grubs. Are these
useful or harmful in a pot? Should I try to remove the grubs or just let
them be. I will probably plant a citrus or other small fruit tree in this
pot (which is quite large).

Worms are good in the garden, no so good in a pot. The grubs are very bad.

John Savage 05-06-2006 04:32 AM

Potting mix question

"Staycalm" writes:
I have a large unplanted pot which still had a lot of potting mix in it. I
decided to combine it into another pot. When I was tipping it I saw masses
of red worms and at least half a dozen large witchetty grubs. Are these
useful or harmful in a pot? Should I try to remove the grubs or just let
them be. I will probably plant a citrus or other small fruit tree in this
pot (which is quite large).

Best practice seems to be to get rid of the grubs, otherwise they are
likely to chew on the tender new roots of anything you grow since there
is nothing else in there for them to chew on. As for the worms, they
will probably move out anyway.

Ian Stanley, Brisbane 05-06-2006 08:39 AM

Potting mix question

The grubs are curl grubs and are the juvanile stage of the rhino
beetle. best way to treat the mix is with lawn grub spray, the worms
"eat" the potting mix and you will find your potting mix slowly
dissapear. Keep the pot on feet or in a saucer to stop the worms