Old 14-06-2006, 03:01 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
John Savage

Default Swarming Slaters eating plants - HELP

"Mentally Jones IIž" writes:
I have a severe slater problem - they are eating just about
everything.
At night the ground is crawling with them & they even climb up the
plants then eat the leaves off.

Your worries haven't started yet. When they've consumed all your
plants they're sure to come looking for you.

How can I control them without poisons (if possible).

I'll send you a dozen funnel web spiders if you like; they make short
work of slaters. But only one at a time.

If you have plenty of concrete pathway maybe you could go out at night
and hoover them up as they cross the paths if they are migrating from
bushland into your garden. (But a flamethrower would be more fun.) Or
are they coming from within your compost?

Slaters have only short legs, so maybe you could enclose a few most
prized plants with a portion of plastic softdrink bottle -- with top
and bottom removed and pushed into the soil so slaters can't bulldoze
their way under it?

Newsgroups trimmed to the couple I sometimes post to.

Old 14-06-2006, 03:27 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Jonno

Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed and
all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

Old 15-06-2006, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Jonno

Jonno wrote:
Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed and
all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

On second thought, theyre ugly! Put em on televison with bert newton and
the ratings will destroy em.
Old 15-06-2006, 03:53 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Jonno wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed
and all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

On second thought, theyre ugly! Put em on televison with bert newton and
the ratings will destroy em.

Some folks keep the Madagascar and other types for pets. They are bigger
than golf balls!

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 15-06-2006, 10:31 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Jonno

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed
and all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

On second thought, theyre ugly! Put em on televison with bert newton
and the ratings will destroy em.

Some folks keep the Madagascar and other types for pets. They are bigger
than golf balls!

Carl

Er play golf with em? Theyd beat me for sure. Good idea for some...

Old 15-06-2006, 12:28 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Jonno wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed
and all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

On second thought, theyre ugly! Put em on televison with bert newton
and the ratings will destroy em.

Some folks keep the Madagascar and other types for pets. They are
bigger than golf balls!

Carl

Er play golf with em? Theyd beat me for sure. Good idea for some...

http://mirukashihime.cool.ne.jp/image/borne29.JPG

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 15-06-2006, 11:01 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Jonno wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Jonno wrote:

Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook
shed and all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

On second thought, theyre ugly! Put em on televison with bert
newton and the ratings will destroy em.

Some folks keep the Madagascar and other types for pets. They are
bigger than golf balls!

Carl

Er play golf with em? Theyd beat me for sure. Good idea for some...

http://mirukashihime.cool.ne.jp/image/borne29.JPG

Carl

UUUUUGLY!

Some are green or orange. Do a google image search on 'pill millipede'
and 'pill bug' .

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 16-06-2006, 01:34 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Linda H

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

http://mirukashihime.cool.ne.jp/image/borne29.JPG

Aaargh! (Anybody got a recipe with those in it?)

L.
Old 16-06-2006, 02:29 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

http://mirukashihime.cool.ne.jp/image/borne29.JPG

Aaargh! (Anybody got a recipe with those in it?)

L.

Only women think of recipes at a time like this. Its horrible.
Dim Sims anyone?

Old 16-06-2006, 02:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Linda H

Jonno wrote:

Only women think of recipes at a time like this. Its horrible.
Dim Sims anyone?

And only men think of take-away food at a time like this. Even horrible-er!

Oh... and sport - men also think of sport in dire times. Bocce anyone?

L.
Old 16-06-2006, 04:43 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Jonno

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Only women think of recipes at a time like this. Its horrible.
Dim Sims anyone?

And only men think of take-away food at a time like this. Even
horrible-er!

Oh... and sport - men also think of sport in dire times. Bocce anyone?

L.

Er no sports, only indoor ones...
you forgot that one!!!
er forget it. Even these poor critturs have s e x
Old 16-06-2006, 03:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc

Jonno wrote:
Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed and
all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

I have the slaters mentioned in the above article. They live in my
compost bin, I like them as they help break down the junk I put in there
and make it into compost.

The vegetable garden is 3'/1metre away and they never invade it.

You must have something else that is also called slaters.

OTOH, we average 10 "whitchity/white grubs" to the square foot and they
can be hell on seedlings. Unfortunately the cat only eats about 1 per
month.

Swarming Slaters eating plants - HELP John Savage Gardening 11 16-06-2006 04:43 AM
Swarming Slaters eating plants - HELP Chookie Australia 1 11-06-2006 02:45 PM
What Are These Insects Swarming Over The Lawn? Bro Jack Gardening 8 09-07-2005 05:03 AM
Basil is SWARMING with Japanese beetles! [email protected] Gardening 6 18-07-2003 12:22 AM
Slaters in worm farm Mousie Australia 1 16-02-2003 11:04 AM